Come Follow Me 1/13/2020 – Devotionals & FHE for Children
Daily devotionals, Family Home Evening (FHE), and Sunday ideas for kids and young children that go with Come, Follow Me for 1/13/2020.
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 1/13
- How is being physically clean/unclean like being spiritually clean/unclean?
- Talk about how it feels to be unclean and clean.
- Do you have the same feelings about being spiritually clean?
- This comparison is part of the symbolism of baptism where we are washed of our sins.
- How does this better help you understand baptism?
Have a white dessert
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 1/13
Work on memorizing this scripture during the week of Come Follow Me 1/13: 1 Nephi 8:12
And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy; wherefore, I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit.
Devotionals Come Follow Me 1/13
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use for Come Follow Me 1/13! Don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 1/13:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, and then have a discussion about it using the questions/comments provided
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, then the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together with the activity!
Modifications for older children for Come Follow Me 1/13:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families
- Instead of printing the journal entry and answering it with a drawing, create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
We’ll Bring the World His Truth
- The vision of the tree of life is a symbol of each of our journey’s through life.
- We can apply many of the symbols in our own life.
- Lehi calls to his family to eat of the fruit.
- How can you encourage your family and friends to partake of the love of God?
What can I do to move towards the tree of life this week?
- The Iron Rod represents the word of God.
- This includes scriptures and prophetic and personal revelation.
- How can these things help guide you to the love of God?
Match the symbols to their meaning
What are the symbols in Lehi’s dream?
I Will Follow God’s Plan (Child)
- Nephi was commanded to create 2 sets of plates.
- This wise purpose was because the Lord knew that some of the translated manuscript would be lost and then Joseph Smith would need a back of set of plates to translate.
- What does this tell you about the nature of God?
- Should we obey even when we don’t know why?
How can I remember that God is always watching me?
We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet
- Why do you think the ancient prophets taught so much about Jesus Christ?
- When they testified, the Holy Ghost was able to touch people’s hearts, like Nephi, and encourage them to find the truth for themselves.
- Do you feel a desire to know who Christ is?
- You may want to listen to prophets and apostles testify of Christ.
What can I do to feel the Holy Ghost?
- After Nephi heard his father testify of Christ, he set out to obtain his own knowledge.
- He then received it.
- Do you believe that you can receive knowledge from Heavenly Father?
- He has promised many times that he will give answers to those that ask.
What can I pray for?
Sunday Come Follow Me 1/13
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 1/13 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you.
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic:
- Have the children summarize Lehi’s vision of the tree of life
- Iron rod activity
- Hold to the rod game
- Holy Ghost obstacle course
- Make a prayer rock
- Make soup phone cans to learn more about prayer
Primary Assignment for Come Follow Me 1/13:
The Come, Follow Me 1/13 – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation for Come Follow Me 1/13:
Encourage the children to use this week’s activity page to share with their families what they learned about Lehi’s vision of the tree of life.