Links on this website may be affiliate links. We are an Amazon affiliate, which means we will receive a small compensation for each purchase you make through our links at no extra cost to you.
Here are the devotionals and FHE for the week of 1/27/2020.
Family Home Evening
- Pick a story from 1 Nephi 16-18 and act it out.
- Talk about how you may apply the things Lehi’s family learned in your own family.
Make homemade boats and have races in a nearby lake (or in the bathtub!)
Scripture of the Week
Work on memorizing this scripture during the week: 1 Nephi 19:23–24
for I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning.
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use! Don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, and then have a discussion about it using the questions/comments provided
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, then the child can write or draw an answer
- Have fun together with the activity!
Modifications for older children:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families
- Instead of printing the journal entry and answering it with a drawing, create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
- When Ishmael died, Nephi and his family all reacted differently.
- What was the difference? Why do you think some were angry and some were not?
- What can you do so that you can be happy and grateful even when hard things happen?
What am I grateful for that I could think about next time I feel angry?
- God guided Lehi and his family through the wilderness with words and a pointer on the Liahona.
- What did they need to do to make it work?
- What are some of the small ways that Heavenly Father helps you?
What can I use as my own Liahona?
- We are given the scriptures not just so we know the history of the people that wrote them, but so that we can apply the lessons to our own lives.
- Nephi called this ‘likening’ the scriptures and used the scriptures to teach lessons to his family.
- What scripture stories can you use to compare to your life?
Dot-to-dot: Listen to His voice
What is my favorite scripture story? How can I liken it to my life?
- How did the Lord lead the children of Israel?
- How did He lead Lehi’s family?
- How does He guide you?
What are things I can do to feel the Holy Ghost?
- The scriptures talk about the House of Israel and the Gentiles a lot.
- Who were the Gentiles? Who are they in our day?
- Isaiah prophesied that the gospel would be given to the Gentiles in the last days and they would be an important part of bringing the gospel to the House of Israel.
How can I share the gospel with someone this week?
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you.
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic:
- Nephi building the boat dot-to-dot
- Laman and Lemuel Bind Nephi photo search
- Contrast Nephi’s account of traveling in the wilderness (see 1 Nephi 17:1–6) with his brothers’ account (see 1 Nephi 17:17–22). Why do you think they saw the same events so differently? What can we learn from Nephi about having a faithful perspective?
- Watch the five Book of Mormon videos based on 1 Nephi 16
- Watch the five Book of Mormon videos based on 1 Nephi 17-18
- Watch the five Book of Mormon videos based on 1 Nephi 18
- Take turns pretending to be one of Lehi’s family. Conduct a “news interview” and ask them questions about their journey.
The Come, Follow Me – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation:
Invite the children to choose a story from 1 Nephi 16–22 and share with their families how they can “liken” that story to their life.