Links on this website may be affiliate links. We are an Amazon affiliate, which means we will receive a small compensation for each purchase you make through our links at no extra cost to you.
Here are the devotionals and FHE for the week of 10/14/2019.
Family Home Evening
- Read Philippians 2:14–15 together.
- What does it mean to shine as a light to the world?
- How can you be a good example and shine the light of Christ at school? At the playground? At work?
- Have you noticed anyone else that shines? How does it make you feel when you are around them?
Play flashlight tag.
Scripture of the Week
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use! Don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, and then have a discussion about it using the questions/comments provided
- Take a few minutes to trace the journal entry question and draw a picture of the answer
- To get the full-size journal entry, just click on the picture and print
- Have fun together with the activity!
Modifications for older children:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families
- Instead of printing the journal entry and answering it with a drawing, create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
- Both the ideas that Jesus saves everyone from their sins no matter what and that we can save ourselves by being good are wrong.
- When he talks about working out our own salvation is talking about doing our part to follow Christ as best as we can.
- Nephi stated that it is Christ’s grace that saves us after all that we can do.
What are things I can do this week to show Christ I want to follow Him?
- What kinds of things did Paul sacrifice or give up to follow Jesus?
- Do you have to give anything up?
- What will you do when you are asked to give away something important to you in order to follow Christ or do His work?
- It is always worth it to make a sacrifice in order to do what Christ asks.
What can I sacrifice this week to be a better follower of the Savior?
- We can have the ‘peace of God’ in all things. Even when everything in our lives is hard.
- Have you ever been in a hard or sad situation but still felt happy/at peace when you turned to God?
- It is important to be happy when things are good, but it is also important to be happy even when things aren’t good.
When I am upset, what can I do to feel peace?
- Make a list of all the things you hear in the scripture about Jesus Christ.
- What did you learn that was new/stood out to you?
- We can always grow our faith in Christ by studying the scriptures.
My favorite thing about Jesus is….
- The scripture includes several attributes of people that are converted to Christ.
- Are there any that you think you already have?
- Are there any that you want to work on?
- Reviewing your life like this can help you stay on the right path.
What can I do this week to be a disciple of Jesus?
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you.
Discuss the sacrament, including some of the following questions:
- What did you think about while the sacrament was being passed? How did you focus on the Savior during that time?
- Which baptismal covenants are you focused on improving during the week?
- What can you do during the upcoming week to help you prepare to partake of the sacrament in the following week?
Consider reading the following quote by Elder David B. Haight from his talk The Sacrament from April 1983.:
The weekly opportunity of partaking of the sacrament of the Lord’s Supper is one of the most sacred ordinances of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and is further indication of His love for all of us. Associated with the partaking of the sacrament are principles that are fundamental to man’s advancement and exaltation in the kingdom of God and the shaping of one’s spiritual character. We should reflect in our own weekday conduct the spiritual renewal and commitments made on Sunday. We may fail to recognize the deep spiritual significance this ordinance offers to each of us personally. Is it possible that a casual attitude on our part of routine formality of this sacred occasion might deaden our opportunity for spiritual growth?
The Come, Follow Me – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation:
Invite the children to share with their families what they learned about being “rooted” in Christ. They could use this week’s activity page or a scripture they read during class today.