Daily devotionals, Family Home Evening (FHE), and Sunday ideas for kids and young children that go with Come, Follow Me for 12/30/2020.
Family Home Evening Come Follow Me 12/30
- Build or draw an arch.
- Identify the keystone as the stone in the very middle/top position.
- The keystone locks in all the other stones in the arch. Similarly, the Book of Mormon locks in all the other parts of the Gospel.
- It has pure truth that reinforces truths that are found in the bible and clarifies some of them that have been lost.
- If the Book of Mormon is true, then much of the other truths of the gospel must be true as well.
- How can the Book of Mormon be the keystone of your faith?
Play London Bridge is falling down.
Scripture of the Week Come Follow Me 12/30
Work on memorizing this scripture during the week (from the introduction to the Book of Mormon):
The Prophet Joseph Smith said: “I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.”
Devotionals Come Follow Me 12/30
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use! Don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 12/30:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, and then have a discussion about it using the questions/comments provided
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, then the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together with the activity!
Modifications for older children:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed in Come Follow Me 12/30
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families
- Instead of printing the journal entry and answering it with a drawing, create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
- List some of the purposes of the Book of Mormon.
- Why do you think some of these might be important to you?
- Which purposes would you want to apply in your life this year?
What are some of the purposes of the Book of Mormon?
- The Book of Mormon outlines much of God’s Plan of Salvation.
- What parts of the plan are you most interested in learning more about?
- The plan is also called the plan of happiness (among other things) what does this tell you about the plan?
What is my favorite part of the Plan of Salvation?
- There were several people in addition to Joseph Smith that were able to see and even touch the plates of gold that contained the original writings of the Book of Mormon.
- We don’t get to see them though. How can we know that they are true?
- How does learning about the experiences that these people had strengthen your own testimony of the Book of Mormon?
What can I do to gain a stronger testimony of the Book of Mormon?
- What do you know about how the Book of Mormon came to be?
- What did you learn today from reading Joseph Smith’s account of what happened?
- What do you think about it? Do you believe it? What questions do you have?
What do I like most about the Joseph Smith story?
- One of Joseph Smith’s greatest accomplishments was translating the Book of Mormon.
- He was only able to do this by the power and gift of God.
- Joseph Smith recited the translation to a scribe who then wrote it down. The Book of Mormon has since been translated into many other languages so everyone in the world can read it.
- Why is important to know how we got the Book of Mormon?
What are some of my gifts from Heavenly Father?
Sunday for Come Follow Me 12/30
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 12/30 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you.
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic in Come Follow Me 12/30:
- Write down your testimonies and place them in copies of the Book of Mormon to give to someone specific
- Start a journal where you will write verses from this year’s study tahat focus on faith
- Make bookmarks to go with each child’s own copy of the Book of Mormon
- Watch How We Got the Book of Mormon on YouTube
- Put together the Book of Mormon reading feast to mark off reading the Book of Mormon in one year
Primary Assignment Come Follow Me 12/30:
The Come, Follow Me – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation:
If possible, ensure that each child has a copy of the Book of Mormon, and invite them to start reading it on their own and with their families.