Come Follow Me 2/3/2020 – Devotionals & FHE for Children
Daily devotionals, Family Home Evening (FHE), and Sunday ideas for kids and young children that go with Come, Follow Me for 2/3/2020.
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 2/3
- Read 2 Nephi 4:20–25 together.
- Pause after each verse, and invite family members to share when they have experienced or felt what Nephi describes.
- What has God done for our family?
Make handprint hugs and send them in the mail to loved ones, along with testimonies of how they’ve felt God’s love. Consider including some of the treat as well.
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 2/3
Work on memorizing this scripture during the week: 2 Nephi 2:25
Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy.
Devotionals for Come Follow Me 2/3
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use! Don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 2/3:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, and then have a discussion about it using the questions/comments provided
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, then the child can write or draw an answer
- Have fun together with the activity!
Modifications for older children:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed in Come Follow Me 2/3
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me 2/3 – For Individuals and Families
- Instead of printing the journal entry and answering it with a drawing, create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
- Agency is a core part of the plan of salvation.
- To have a fair choice, we need to be enticed by both the good and bad choices.
- Why do you think it is important that we learn to choose the right from the wrong?
- It is part of our eternal progression.
Coloring page: Jesus created the earth as a place where I can learn to choose the right.”
How can I know which is the right choice?
- What does it mean that Adam ‘fell?’
- Was this a terrible thing?
- Why was it important that man be separated from God for a period of time?
- The Atonement is the other critical part of the plan that allows us to return from the fall.
How can I stay close to God?
- There is a prophecy of the Restoration in second Nephi.
- Nephi and his family cared about this because the Restoration would include the Book of Mormon and the Restoration of the knowledge of the gospel to their descendants.
- What do you learn about Joseph Smith and his purpose?
Coloring Page: “My faith in Jesus Christ grows when I learn about the Restoration of the gospel.”
- After Lehi died Nephi was feeling very strongly about his imperfections and struggles to do the right.
- We all feel inadequate at times.
- How did Nephi overcome these feelings?
- How can this help you when you are feeling like you aren’t doing good enough?
“Repentance—Turning from Wrong to Right”
What can I try to improve this week?
- What does happiness mean to you?
- What kinds of things make you happy?
- True happiness comes from living the gospel and lasts for eternity.
“Key to Happiness” secret message
What makes me happy?
Sunday Come Follow Me 2/3
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 2/3 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you.
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic for Come Follow Me 2/3:
- Watch these six videos about 2 Nephi 1-4
- Watch these three videos about 2 Nephi 5
- Read together “Seer” in the Bible Dictionary. How was Joseph Smith a seer? Why are we grateful for the work that Joseph Smith accomplished? (see 2 Nephi 3:6–24).
- What do these verses in 2 Nephi 1:13-25 teach us about a righteous parent’s greatest wishes for his or her children? Have the parents and/or caregivers in the family share personal desires they have for each individual child.
- Write phrases from 2 Nephi 1:20 on strips of paper, and discuss what the phrases mean. Invite the children to put the strips in the correct order using the verse. To illustrate the difference between prospering and being cut off, show the children a healthy plant and a leaf or branch that has been cut off from the plant. What is the difference between a leaf that is on the plant and one that has been cut off? How are we like the leaf on the plant when we obey God’s commandments? Invite the children to record in a journal ways God blesses them when they choose the right.
- Play a game in which you say a word (such as light) and the children say its opposite (dark). Repeat this activity several times. To help the children understand how having opposites helps us make choices, read the first half of 2 Nephi 2:11 and 2 Nephi 2:16.
- Play this game about making right choices
- Learn this new song Whenever I Have to Choose
- Watch these Mormon Messages about agency and making choices:
- Adam & Eve crossword puzzle
- Adam and Eve finger puppets
- “What Makes You Smile?” booklet
Primary Assignment Come Follow Me 2/3:
The Come, Follow Me 2/3 – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation for Come Follow Me 2/3:
Encourage the children to notice opportunities they have to make choices this week. Invite them to be ready to share next week what choices they made and the results of their choices.
Pin these Come Follow Me 2/3 devotionals on Pinterest!