Links on this website may be affiliate links. We are an Amazon affiliate, which means we will receive a small compensation for each purchase you make through our links at no extra cost to you.
***Note: the FHE treat is incorrect in the PDF. Please see the correct treat below.***
Family Home Evening
- Read through Acts 5:1–11.
- Discuss the importance of honesty
- You can act out the scripture story or just discuss other scenarios when a person’s integrity may be challenged.
Get a ball of yarn and have one person hold it. Explain that being dishonest is like getting wrapped up in yarn as you walk around everyone tangling them up.
Twizzler’s Pull N Peel
Scripture of the Week
Work on memorizing this scripture during the week:
Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use! Don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, and then have a discussion about it using the questions/comments provided
- Take a few minutes to trace the journal entry question and draw a picture of the answer
- To get the full-size journal entry, just click on the picture and print
- Have fun together with the activity!
Modifications for older children:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families
- Instead of printing the journal entry and answering it with a drawing, create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
- When Jesus Christ was on the earth, he taught with great power.
- Once he left, his apostles were able to do so as well with the guidance and power of the Holy ghost.
- Christ tells his prophet and apostles how to best strengthen His church on the earth through the Holy Ghost.
- When they talk about tongues in the scriptures it usually means another language.
- The people heard the apostles teach them in their own language (that the apostles didn’t know.)
- The ability to teach someone the gospel (and for them to understand) in a language that is not your own is the purpose of the Gift of Tongues.
- When might this be used? (Missionary work, service)
Learn a few new words in a foreign language.
- What did these people want to do when they learned about Jesus?
- What did they do afterward that showed that they really wanted to follow Him?
- They continued in the path together and partook of the sacrament.
- Does this remind you of the fourth article of faith?
- The apostles prophesied of two very important events to come:
“the times of restitution of all things” refers to the Restoration of the gospel after it was corrupted and lost after the apostles were all killed. That started with Joseph Smith and is continuing today.
- “The times of refreshing” refers to the Millennium or the period of time after Christ returns to the earth and is our leader.
- Disciples of Jesus Christ are given power to perform miracles in His name.
- Watch this video: (Peter and John Heal a Man Crippled Since Birth)
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you.
Discuss the sacrament, including some of the following questions:
- What did you think about while the sacrament was being passed? How did you focus on the Savior during that time?
- Which baptismal covenants are you focused on improving during the week?
- What can you do during the upcoming week to help you prepare to partake of the sacrament in the following week?
Consider reading the following quote by Elder David B. Haight from his talk The Sacrament from April 1983.:
The weekly opportunity of partaking of the sacrament of the Lord’s Supper is one of the most sacred ordinances of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and is further indication of His love for all of us. Associated with the partaking of the sacrament are principles that are fundamental to man’s advancement and exaltation in the kingdom of God and the shaping of one’s spiritual character. We should reflect in our own weekday conduct the spiritual renewal and commitments made on Sunday. We may fail to recognize the deep spiritual significance this ordinance offers to each of us personally. Is it possible that a casual attitude on our part of routine formality of this sacred occasion might deaden our opportunity for spiritual growth?
The Come, Follow Me – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation:
Encourage the children to plan one way they can serve Heavenly Father by helping a member of their families this week.