Come Follow Me 11/9/2020 – Devotionals & FHE for Kids
Daily devotionals, Family Home Evening (FHE), and Sunday ideas for kids and young children that go with Come, Follow Me for 11/9/2020.
- Family Home Evening
- Scripture of the Week
- Primary Challenge
- Sunday Activity Ideas
- Share on Pinterest!
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 11/9
- After reading the scripture together, write down some things on slips of paper that have an affect on your family (for good or bad)
- Now take turns picking one slip of paper out of a bowl and talk about how that may ‘persuade’ us’ to do good or not.
- What changes should we make in our family to help us do more good?
Play charades and take turns acting out an act of service.
Make your favorite cookies and take a plate of them to someone as an act of service. Then eat the rest.
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 11/9
Work on memorizing this scripture during the week for Come Follow Me 11/9: Ether 2:12
Behold, this is a choice land, and whatsoever nation shall possess it shall be free from bondage, and from captivity, and from all other nations under heaven, if they will but serve the God of the land, who is Jesus Christ, who hath been manifested by the things which we have written.
Here are some ideas for marking your scriptures.
Devotionals for Come Follow Me 11/9
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use in your daily Come, Follow Me 11/9 devotionals! Please don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Just make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 11/9:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, then your family can have a discussion using the questions/comments provided.
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, after which the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together doing the activity as a family!
Modifications for older children for Come, Follow Me 11/9 daily devotionals:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families for Come Follow Me 11/9
- Instead of answering the journal entry with a drawing, you can create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
A Child’s Prayer (Children’s #12)
- At this point in the Book of Mormon, the prophet Mormon takes a break from the Nephites and Lamanites to tell us about another group of people called the Jaredites.
- About 1,500 years before Lehi came to the Americas, there is a Bible story about the Tower of Babel. The wicked people tried to build a tower to get into Heaven. The Lord cursed them by changing all of their languages so no one could understand each other.
- At this time, there was a man named Jared. His brother was a prophet, and he prayed to ask that the Lord would protect them and their families. The Lord didn’t change their language and told them of a Promised Land where they could go to be safe. We are going to spend the next few weeks talking about this people and their descendants.
- We read today about the 3 prayers that the Brother of Jared prayed. What did he ask for? How did the Lord respond?
- What does this mean about how He will answer our prayers? Has He done this before for you?
Put together a timeline that shows where the Jaredites fall in relation to the Nephites. (Use this timeline for reference.)
Write down a time that the Lord has answered your prayer with compassion.
“To Be a Pioneer” (Children’s, 218)
- To get to the promised land, the Jaredites faced a major obstacle: crossing the “great deep” (which was the ocean.)
- What did they do when they to solve their problem? How did the Lord help them?
- We aren’t asked to cross an ocean, but sometimes we are asked to do difficult things. What can we apply from these verses to our lives?
What is something difficult for me now and what should I do about it?
The Lord Gave Me a Temple (Children’s #153)
- What did the Lord do to answer the Brother of Jared’s prayer about the stones?
- Until this time, many people thought that Heavenly Father and Jesus were just spirits and didn’t have a body.
- What do we learn about our bodies from these verses?
Brother of Jared coloring page
How can I take care of my body?
If with All Your Hearts (Children’s #15)
- President Russell M. Nelson said: “I plead with you to increase your spiritual capacity to receive revelation. … Choose to do the spiritual work required to enjoy the gift of the Holy Ghost and hear the voice of the Spirit more frequently and more clearly.”
- Revelation is when we talk to Heavenly Father and He talks back to us.
- What have we learned about personal revelation from today’s verses and everything else we have learned this week about the Brother of Jared?
Brother of Jared scripture hunt (scroll down the page)
How can I receive revelation? What does it feel like?
Listen to the song “I am Another Witness”
- Moroni prophesied that the Three Witnesses would help establish the truth of the Book of Mormon.
- This was fulfilled when Joseph Smith showed the plates to Oliver Cowdrey, Martin Harris, and David Whitmer. Their testimonies are written in the front of the Book of Mormon.
- Why do you think having witnesses is important to the Lord’s work?
- We haven’t seen the plates, but we can be witnesses, just like the song we listened to said.
How can I be a witness of the Book of Mormon?
Primary Assignment for Come Follow Me 11/9
The Come, Follow Me – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation for Come Follow Me 11/9:
Invite the children to think of something they could ask for Heavenly Father’s help with, as the brother of Jared did. Encourage them to seek His help through prayer.
Sunday Ideas for Come Follow Me 11/9
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 11/9 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you.
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic in Come Follow Me 11/9:
- Do this week’s free activity pages from Color Me Christian
- Watch Video: Book of Mormon Stories, “Chapter 50: The Jaredites Leave Babel”
- Act out the story of the Lord touching the stones. You can use this story as your model.
- Print and color these Book of Mormon Hero Posters and hang them around your home
- Put together a puzzle. Talk about how the Brother of Jared had a puzzle he didn’t know how to solve.
- Make this cool Brother of Jared pop-up book
- Look at these Friend articles to talk about how to take care of your body that is made in the image of God.
- Sing “Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes,” Children’s Songbook, 275 multiple times in different ways (fast, slow, etc.). Talk about the different body parts you sing about (and others) and imagine what it would be like to live without them.
Are these Come Follow Me 11/9 ideas useful for you? If so, please share on Pinterest or Facebook!