Come Follow Me 12/13/2021 – Devotionals & FHE for Kids
If you find these Come Follow Me 12/13 devotionals and other ideas for kids useful, please share them with others!
You can get all of the devotionals here.Last week’s devotional and next week’s devotional
You also should check out our Google Web Story about our devotionals!
- Family Home Evening
- Scripture of the Week
- Primary Challenge
- Sunday Activity Ideas
- Share on Pinterest!
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 12/13 for Kids
- From the song and the proclamation, what kinds of things can we do to make our home more of a heaven on earth?
- Pick one thing and work on it this week.
- Why it important for our home to be like Heaven?
- How can we make sure that our family is founded on the teachings of Jesus Christ?
Go around the room and tell each person what you love about them.
Make gingerbread houses
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 12/13 for Kids
Work on memorizing this scripture with your children during the week for Come Follow Me 12/13: The Family: A Proclamation to the World paragraph 1
We, the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children.
Here are some ideas for marking your scriptures. You can download these tracing sheets as a PDF.
Devotionals for Come Follow Me 12/13 for kids
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use in your daily Come, Follow Me 12/13 devotionals with your children! Please don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Just make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 12/13:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, then your family can have a discussion using the questions/comments provided.
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, after which the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together doing the activity as a family!
Modifications for older children for Come, Follow Me 12/13 daily devotionals:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed in Come, Follow Me 12/13
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families for Come Follow Me 12/13
- Instead of answering the journal entry with a drawing, you can create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
You might also enjoy these Come Follow Me Workbooks for Kids:
I Lived in Heaven (Children’s #4)
The Family: A Proclamation to the World paragraphs 1-2
- Even before we were born, we were part of a family—the family of our Heavenly Parents.
- They created families here on earth to help us learn and grow. This week, we will be studying more about the roles of families.
- In the pre-earth life, our spirits had gender: male and female, and that is part of our eternal identity.
- What else do we learn about the pre-earth life in these paragraphs?
What are some special things about me?
“Celebrating You!” (February 2016 Friend)
Families Can Be Together Forever (Children’s #188)
The Family: A Proclamation to the World paragraphs 3-4
- Eternal families with a father and a mother are Heavenly Father’s plan. Sometimes, families don’t turn out that way.
- But as President Henry B. Eyring taught, families “give God’s children the best chance to be welcomed to the world with the only love on earth that comes close to what we felt in heaven—parental love.”
- We want to do all we can to be married in the temple and raise a righteous family, and that begins now in how we behave in our current families.
- If you are in a home that is different than the model the Lord put in place, read this quote and discuss it:
- Elder D. Todd Christofferson taught: “To declare the fundamental truths relative to marriage and family is not to overlook or diminish the sacrifices and successes of those for whom the ideal is not a present reality. … Everyone has gifts; everyone has talents; everyone can contribute to the unfolding of the divine plan in each generation. Much that is good, much that is essential—even sometimes all that is necessary for now—can be achieved in less than ideal circumstances. … With confidence we testify that the Atonement of Jesus Christ has anticipated and, in the end, will compensate all deprivation and loss for those who turn to Him. No one is predestined to receive less than all that the Father has for His children.”
How can I prepare to be married and start my own family?
“Different Families” (July 2018 Friend)
Love Is Spoken Here (Children’s #190)
The Family: A Proclamation to the World paragraphs 5-6
- The Lord commanded that children should be born within marriage, not outside of it. This is called the Law of Chastity. (Explain more depending on the child’s age.)
- What are the responsibilities of parents with regards to the children?
How can I show my parents gratitude for what they do for me?
Coloring page: “Where love is, we want to be” (November 2015 Friend)
Home Can Be a Heaven on Earth (Hymns #298)
The Family: A Proclamation to the World paragraph 7
- Satan is trying to attack the families.
- What can we do to strengthen our families?
What can I do today to make my family stronger?
Coloring Page: “Heavenly Father planned for me to come to a family. I can strengthen my family now.” (May 2008 Friend)
We’ll Bring the World His Truth (Children’s #172) verse 1
The Family: A Proclamation to the World paragraphs 8-9
- What are the warnings for parents who fail in their responsibilities? How can I help support my parents?
- How can we help strengthen other families?
- What is society’s responsibility towards families?
Whose family can I help strengthen today?
“The Family” (February 2009 Friend). A crossword puzzle with clues from “The Family: A Proclamation to the World.”
Primary Children’s Assignment for Come Follow Me 12/13
The Come, Follow Me – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation for Come Follow Me 12/13:
Invite the children to make a plan to do something to strengthen their families. Encourage them to share their plan with family members at home.
Sunday Ideas for Kids for Come Follow Me 12/13
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 12/13 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you. If your younger children are struggling during Sacrament, try using these Ideas and Activities to Keep Toddlers and Kids Quiet During Church
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic in Come Follow Me 12/13:
Sunday Kids Activities for Come Follow Me 12/13
- Do this week’s free activity pages from Color Me Christian
- Read or watch Dallin H. Oaks, “The Plan and the Proclamation,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2017, 28–31.
- If it would be helpful for your family to discuss doctrine related to gender and same-sex attraction, the following resources might help: Dallin H. Oaks, “Truth and the Plan,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2018, 25–28; Gospel Topics, “Same-Sex Attraction,” topics.ChurchofJesusChrist.org.
- “What Are Your Spiritual Gifts?” (March 2017 Friend). Heavenly Father gives all His children spiritual gifts, whether they are boys or girls.
- Read “Savannah the Engineer” (February 2016 Friend). Savannah learns that certain interests aren’t just for girls or just for boys.
- Read “When I Grow Up, I Want to Be a Dancer” (June 2016 Friend). An LDS dad and dancer teaches ballet to kids, including his own daughter.
- Watch the video “Plan of Salvation—We’re Still a Family”
- To help your family see the importance of families in Heavenly Father’s plan, you might write premortal life, mortal life, and life after death on three sections of a piece of paper. Search the proclamation together, and write on the paper what you learn about each of these parts of God’s plan. Why are families so important to God?
- “Mother’s Day Card” (May 2020 Friend). Make this pop-up card for your mom or someone else you love.
- Watch the video “What Is the Purpose of Family?“Invite the children to make a plan to do something to strengthen their families. Encourage them to share their plan with family members at home
- “Love Notes for Mom” (May 2016 Friend). Make this booklet to show your mom or someone else how much you love them.
- “Count on Dad!” (June 2013 Friend). Using a code, find out what Elder M. Russell Ballard says about why we should love and trust our dads.
- Use any of these coloring pages:
- Coloring Page: “Faith, prayer, repentance, and forgiveness strengthen me and my family.” (June 2009 Liahona and Friend)
- Coloring Page: “Family members have important responsibilities.” (March 2009 Liahona and Friend)
- Coloring Page: “Family Reunion” (September 2015 Friend)
- Coloring Page: “Heavenly Father planned for me to come to a family. I can strengthen my family now.” (May 2008 Friend)
- Coloring Page: “I am a child of God, and He has a plan for me.” (January 2008 Liahona and Friend)
- Coloring Page: “I came to earth as part of a family.” (February 2009 Liahona and Friend)
- Coloring Page: “I Can Help My Family” (September 2016 Liahona and Friend)
- Coloring Page: “I Love My Family” (June 2017 Liahona and Friend)
- Coloring Page: “I Love My Family” (December 2016 Liahona and Friend)
- Coloring Page: “I will strengthen my family.” (July 2009 Liahona and Friend)
- Coloring Page: “My family and I can serve others.” (November 2009 Friend)
- Coloring Page: “My family can follow Jesus Christ in faith.” (July 2007 Liahona and Friend)
- Coloring Page: “Temple blessings unite families.” (August 2009 Liahona and Friend)
- Coloring page: “Where love is, we want to be” (November 2015 Friend)
- In Elder Richard G. Scott’s article “Heavenly Father’s Plan” (June 2003 Liahona and Friend), he teaches us that we can fulfill the purposes of our lives by working towards having an “ideal family.” What can we do to help create an ideal family? Read together the proclamation on the family for ideas. Then set a goal as a family to work on one thing that will help you reach this ideal.
- “Proclamation on the Family Pyramid” (February 2004 Friend). A word search activity with words from the proclamation.
- Print and hang the posted Poster: “The Family” (February 2004 Liahona and Friend), or make your own poster.
Are these Come Follow Me 12/13 ideas for children useful for you? If so, please share on Pinterest or Facebook!