Links on this website may be affiliate links. We are an Amazon affiliate, which means we will receive a small compensation for each purchase you make through our links at no extra cost to you.
Daily devotionals, Family Home Evening (FHE), and Sunday ideas for kids and young children that go with Come, Follow Me for 3/8/2021.
You also should check out our Google Web Story about our devotionals!
- Family Home Evening
- Scripture of the Week
- Primary Challenge
- Sunday Activity Ideas
- Share on Pinterest!
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 3/8 for Kids
- We all will experience trials in our lives at some point (or many.)
- How we react to that determines a significant portion of our growth.
- What does patience in afflictions mean? What does it look like? Talk about the kinds feelings might we have if we are patient.
Try the marshmallow experiment as described here: Continue in Patience
Marshmallows dipped in chocolate syrup.
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 3/8 for Kids
Work on memorizing this scripture with your children during the week for Come Follow Me 3/8: Doctrine & Covenants 25:12
For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads.
Here are some ideas for marking your scriptures.
Devotionals for Come Follow Me 3/8 for kids
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use in your daily Come, Follow Me 3/8 devotionals with your children! Please don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Just make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 3/8:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, then your family can have a discussion using the questions/comments provided.
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, after which the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together doing the activity as a family!
Modifications for older children for Come, Follow Me 3/8 daily devotionals:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed in Come, Follow Me 3/8
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families for Come Follow Me 3/8
- Instead of answering the journal entry with a drawing, you can create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
You might also enjoy these Come Follow Me Workbooks for Kids:
- The early members of the Church were told to strengthen the Church.
- Some of them wanted to go on missions, but the Lord told them to stay home and “exhort” (which means to urge strongly) the Church.
- The need to “strengthen the Church” continues today, and we as members are all asked to do that.
- What are ways that we can strengthen the Church? Does it mean build stronger buildings? No, it means to help people develop stronger testimonies.
How can I strengthen the Church?
Read “A Banner of Faithfulness” (February 2010 Friend) and try walking across the room with only one leg. Have races.
- In the beginning, the members of the Church were persecuted (that means attacked) a lot. Their homes were destroyed, and many people were injured or even killed.
- These verses the Lord talks about how the people were going to endure many persecutions and trials, but Christ said He would lift them up.
- Their persecutions didn’t end, and eventually Joseph was killed. How how did Christ “lift them up out of their afflictions” as He says in verse 1?
- How does He help us in our difficult times?
What can I do when I am having difficulties to turn to Christ?
“Journal Page” (August 2002 Friend)
- This revelation was specifically for Emma Smith, the wife of the prophet Joseph Smith.
- The Lord called her an “Elect lady,” and we will talk more about her tomorrow.
- One thing Emma was asked to do was to create a book of hymns for the Church members to sing.
- What do we learn about music in verse 12? Is it still important for us today?
How does music make me feel?
“A Musical Picnic” (July 2007 Friend)
Voices of the Restoration about Emma Smith in the Come Follow Me Manual
- Emma Smith went through some very hard things. Here are just a few of them:
- Many of her babies died
- Joseph was thrown in jail (and later murdered)
- Her parents disowned her for following the gospel.
- Through all of this, Emma stayed strong. How do you think she was able to do that?
- Read some of the quotes about Emma Smith by those who knew her.Wha t do people say about her?
How can I follow Emma’s example?
“A Faithful Girl Named Emma” (September 2010 Liahona and Friend)
- When members receive callings or priesthood ordinations in the Church, we have the opportunity to formally sustain them by raising our hands as a show of support.
- The principle of demonstrating public support and agreement is called common consent.
- President Gordon B. Hinckley said, “The procedure of sustaining is much more than a ritualistic raising of the hand. It is a commitment to uphold, to support, to assist those who have been selected” (“This Work Is Concerned with People,” Ensign, May 1995, 51).
- Part of raising our hands to sustain someone to a calling is NOT a vote. Rather, we are promising that we will help that person in their calling.
How can I support someone in my ward in their calling?
“Article of Faith 5” (May 2011 Friend)
Primary Children’s Assignment for Come Follow Me 3/8
The Come, Follow Me – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation for Come Follow Me 3/8:
Invite the children to pick a favorite verse that you discussed together, write down the reference, and share it with a family member or friend.
Sunday Ideas for Kids for Come Follow Me 3/8
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 3/8 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you.
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic in Come Follow Me 3/8:
Sunday Kids Activities for Come Follow Me 3/8
- Do this week’s free activity pages from Color Me Christian
- Watch the movie Emma Smith: My Story
- Start by naming some of your favorite songs and types of music. What do you like about music? Then read “Words of Warning” (February 2005 Friend) and discuss why some songs and types of music are bad for us to listen to.
- Watch Video: Doctrine and Covenants Visual Resources, “An Elect Lady”.
- Watch Video: Doctrine and Covenants Stories, “Chapter 52: The Relief Society (March 1842)”
- President Heber J. Grant (1856–1945) understood the importance of good music. Read “Learning to Sing”
- “Choose the Right Media” (April 2012 Friend). This activity provides children with a checklist of what they can do to choose good media, including music.
- Watch Video: Doctrine and Covenants Stories, “Chapter 13: Joseph and Emma (July 1830)”
- Look at these images of Joseph and Emma. Talk about the various experiences they had in their lives.
- Find a favorite hymn and work on memorizing it together as a family. Try learning all of the verses!
- Read “A Banner of Faithfulness” (February 2010 Friend) and talk about how your family can magnify any callings you have.
- Find some hymns like “How Firm a Foundation” (Hymns #185) that has extra verses underneath the music and sing those verses.
- Read “Making a Difference” (April 2010 Friend) and come up with things you can do to help others, like Ryan.
- “Tender Mercies” (November 2015 Friend)
- Watch Video: Mormon Messages for Youth, “God Will Lift Us Up”
- Watch Video: “Trial of Adversity”
- Print this Bright Idea Poster: “I can conquer GIANT problems!” (May 2019 Friend)
- Watch Video: Mormon Messages, “Mountains to Climb”
- Watch Video: Mormon Messages, “Men’s Hearts Shall Fail Them”
- Print the Mormonad Poster: “Adversity Can Make You Strong” (February 1983 Liahona and July 1982 New Era)
Are these Come Follow Me 3/8 ideas for children useful for you? If so, please share on Pinterest or Facebook!