You can get all of the devotionals here.Last week’s devotional
You also should check out our Google Web Story about our devotionals!
- Family Home Evening
- Scripture of the Week
- Primary Challenge
- Sunday Activity Ideas
- Share on Pinterest!
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 8/16 for Kids
- Read Doctrine and Covenants 89 together
- As you hear substances or food mentioned, draw a picture of it on a note card or find a toy version of it.
- Have the children sort the items into should and should nots.
- Discuss the importance of keeping our bodies clean and places where the Holy ghost can dwell
- What are some of the other blessings we receive from taking care of our bodies?
Have a race. Set up a list of places the family members need to run to/around.
Make a healthy fruit salad. (Chopped fruit mixed with yogurt.)
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 8/16 for Kids
Work on memorizing this scripture with your children during the week for Come Follow Me 8/16: Doctrine and Covenants 89:18-20
And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;
And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;
And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.
Devotionals for Come Follow Me 8/16 for kids
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use in your daily Come, Follow Me 8/16 devotionals with your children! Please don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Just make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 8/16:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, then your family can have a discussion using the questions/comments provided.
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, after which the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together doing the activity as a family!
Modifications for older children for Come, Follow Me 8/16 daily devotionals:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed in Come, Follow Me 8/16
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families for Come Follow Me 8/16
- Instead of answering the journal entry with a drawing, you can create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
You might also enjoy these Come Follow Me Workbooks for Kids:
- The Word of Wisdom is a commandment God gave to Joseph Smith about how to take care of our bodies.
- Modern prophets have told us that we need to stay away from 5 things: coffee, tea, tobacco, alcohol, and drugs.
- The other parts of the Word of Wisdom include eating healthy and exercising. We can decide individually how to apply this guidance to our lives.
- Why is it important for us to know how God wants us to care for our bodies?
What can I do to better follow the Word of Wisdom?
- Yesterday we learned about the laws God has for us about our bodies and what we need to do to take care of them.
- Today we’re going to read about the blessings that come from being obedience to the Word of Wisdom.
- Do these verses mean that we will never get tired or sick? No. It means that our bodies will always be strong enough to do what God wants us to do.
How have I seen the blessings of following the Word of Wisdom?
“Coloring Page” (August 2015 Friend)
- At this time, Joseph Smith was the prophet. His two counselors were Sidney Rigdon and Frederick G. Williams. Nowadays we call them the First Presidency.
- The First Presidency right now includes Presidents Russel M. Nelson, Dallin H. Oaks, and Henry B. Eyring.
- These men have the same responsibilities and priesthood keys that Joseph and his counselors did back then.
- What are some of their responsibilities?
- How can we support the prophet and his counselors?
What can I do to follow the prophet?
“Prophets and Apostles” (October 2019 Friend)
- Sometimes life can be difficult. Good people can have bad things happen to them.
- What does this verse tell us about difficult times?
- How can we know this is true? What are some examples of this in our lives?
How can I strengthen my faith in God’s plan?
Print out the Mormonad Poster: “Adversity Can Make You Strong” and talk about how the process of breaking out of an egg is hard, but the baby bird needs to build his muscles or he will be too weak to survive. Wrap up in blankets or boxes and pretend to be birds coming out of a shell.
- What does it mean to be a “lively” member of the Church?
- How can we be lively members?
What can I do today to be a lively member of the Church?
Church of Jesus Christ coloring page (download halfway down the page)
Primary Children’s Assignment for Come Follow Me 8/16
The Come, Follow Me – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation for Come Follow Me 8/16:
Invite the children to share with their family what they learned today about caring for their body and spirit or their goals for obeying the Word of Wisdom.
Sunday Ideas for Kids for Come Follow Me 8/16
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 8/16 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you. If your younger children are struggling during Sacrament, try using these Ideas and Activities to Keep Toddlers and Kids Quiet During Church
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic in Come Follow Me /:
Sunday Kids Activities for Come Follow Me 8/16
- Do this week’s free activity pages from Color Me Christian
- Watch Video: “Doctrine and Covenants Stories: Chapter 31: The Word of Wisdom (February 1833)” to learn about how Joseph received the Word of Wisdom.
- Coloring Page: “Exercise Is Fun” (August 2009 Friend). Includes instructions for an outside game.
- Watch Video: “Word of Wisdom Leads to Revelation”
- “Healthy and Happy” (January 2012 Friend). Draw your favorite meal to find out if you are making healthy food choices.
- Watch Video: “A Brand New Year: Physical Health”
- “My Body Is a Temple of God” (August 2011 Liahona and Friend). Find your way through the maze by choosing the paths that help you treat your body like a temple of God.
- Watch Video: One in a Million, “Alberto, Mexico”. Alberto talks about health challenges and the Word of Wisdom.
- “Test Your Health IQ” (April 2012 Friend)
- “Words of Wisdom” (November 1989 Friend). Crossword puzzle with verses from D&C 89.
- “Word of Wisdom Promise” (November 2006 Friend). A coded-message activity.
- Watch Video: Doctrine and Covenants Stories, “Chapter 37: Priesthood Leaders (February–March 1835)”
- Read or listen to the General Conference talks given by the First Presidency in the last Conference. Or read the special messages on the From the First Presidency website.
- Coloring Page: “I Will Follow the Prophet.”
- “Trust in the Lord” (June 1994 Friend). Fill in the blanks by looking up these twelve scriptures about trust. Then use the words you found to complete a word search activity.
- Make Belong Badges for each member of the family
Are these Come Follow Me 8/16 ideas for children useful for you? If so, please share on Pinterest or Facebook!