Links on this website may be affiliate links. We are an Amazon affiliate, which means we will receive a small compensation for each purchase you make through our links at no extra cost to you.
Daily devotionals, Family Home Evening (FHE), and Sunday ideas for kids and young children that go with Come, Follow Me for 8/24/2020.
- Family Home Evening
- Scripture of the Week
- Primary Challenge
- Sunday Activity Ideas
- Share on Pinterest!
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 8/24
- What is the difference between being ‘steady’ and ‘unsteady’.
- Try to balance a plate on your head. What do you have to do to keep it steady?
- Read in the scripture and look for ways we can be spiritually steady.
Have an egg and spoon race (you don’t have to use raw eggs if you have small children.)
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 8/24
Work on memorizing this scripture during the week for Come Follow Me 8/24: Helaman 12:23
Therefore, blessed are they who will repent and hearken unto the voice of the Lord their God; for these are they that shall be saved.
Here are some ideas for marking your scriptures.
Devotionals for Come Follow Me 8/24
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use in your daily Come, Follow Me 8/24 devotionals! Please don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Just make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 8/24:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, then your family can have a discussion using the questions/comments provided.
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, after which the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together doing the activity as a family!
Modifications for older children for Come, Follow Me 8/24 daily devotionals:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families for Come Follow Me 8/24
- Instead of answering the journal entry with a drawing, you can create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
Latter-day Prophets (Children’s, #134) – don’t forget to add the last ones!
- Read the chapter or summarize the story
- What do prophets do, according to Nephi? Read these verses:
- What do these verses make you feel about our prophet today?
How can I follow the prophet?
- The people were extremely wicked, and Nephi called them to repentance.
- They were angry and wanted to destroy him, but he gave them proof by saying that their chief judge had been murdered.
- They accused him of being part of the murder, so he told them the real murderer was the chief judge’s brother. The chief judge confirmed that Nephi had no knowledge of the murder.
- What does this tell us about prophets and their warnings and counsel?
- What if we don’t agree with something the prophet tells us, or we don’t understand why he told us?
How can I know the prophet speaks for God?
- Even though the people had been shown several signs by Nephi, they still had hard hearts
- This is like Laman and Lemuel seeing angel and still doubting that they could get the plates from Laban
- In the words to the song we sang, what happens first – the faith or the miracle?
Faith coloring page (halfway down the post)
How can I strengthen my faith today?
- What did Nephi do when he felt “cast down”?
- What is pondering? President Henry B. Eyring taught, “When we ponder, we invite revelation by the Spirit. Pondering, to me, is the thinking and the praying I do after reading and studying in the scriptures carefully”
- Whrn should we ponder? What should we ponder about?
Draw a picture of yourself with a thought bubble above your head. Fill the thought bubble with things you can ponder about.
- In this chapter, Mormon writes a summary of the things we can learn from Nephi. What are some of those things?
- One big theme is that it is easy for people to forget the Lord. What does Mormon say about this?
- What can we do to make sure we don’t forget the Lord?
Make a rubber band book and write down things to remember throughout the week.
How can I remember the Lord today?
Primary Assignment for Come Follow Me 8/24
The Come, Follow Me – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation for Come Follow Me 8/24:
Encourage the children to share with their families what they plan to do to remember Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ every day. They could also invite their families to join them in their goal.
Sunday Ideas for Come Follow Me 8/24
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 8/24 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you.
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic in Come Follow Me 8/24:
- Do this week’s free activity pages from Color Me Christian
- Read these Friend articles about prophets
- Create a journal of rememberance. This can be a scripture study journal, a journal for taking notes at church, or a journal where you record what’s said in priesthood blessings that you receive.
- Talk about the sacrament prayer and the line “always remember Him.” Discuss how remembering Him is part of the covenants we make.
- “Sharing Time: Blessings Come When We Follow the Prophet” (June 2001 Liahona and Friend) An illustrated matching game that pairs prophets with their teachings.
- “I Will Remember Jesus Christ” (December 2009 Liahona and Friend) Create a booklet to write down things learned about Jesus Christ in the sacrament hymns.
- Coloring Page: “My family is blessed when we remember Jesus Christ.” (December 2009 Liahona and Friend)
- “Remembering Jesus Christ during the Sacrament” (June 2007 Liahona and Friend). Make the wheel depicting various scenes which can help children remember Christ as they partake of the sacrament.
- “Sharing Time: The Prophet Speaks for Heavenly Father” (February 2001 Liahona and January 2001 Friend). This mobile illustrates how that prophets teach us what Christ wants us to do.
Are these Come Follow Me 8/24 ideas useful for you? If so, please share on Pinterest or Facebook!