You can get all of the devotionals here.Last week’s devotional
You also should check out our Google Web Story about our devotionals!
- Family Home Evening
- Scripture of the Week
- Primary Challenge
- Sunday Activity Ideas
- Share on Pinterest!
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 8/9 for Kids
- Jesus says he will come to us and give us answers, but what do we have to do first?
- Why do you think he doesn’t just come to us first?
- Does he always answer in the way we want him to? Or when?
- Why not?
- Becoming like the Savior requires faith. That means effort and often-times, waiting.
Play reverse hide and go seek (like sardines).
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 8/9 for Kids
Work on memorizing this scripture with your children during the week for Come Follow Me 8/9: Doctrine and Covenants 88:119-120
Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God;
Cease to be idle; cease to be unclean; cease to find fault one with another; cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated.
Devotionals for Come Follow Me 8/9 for kids
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use in your daily Come, Follow Me 8/9 devotionals with your children! Please don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Just make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 8/9:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, then your family can have a discussion using the questions/comments provided.
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, after which the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together doing the activity as a family!
Modifications for older children for Come, Follow Me 8/9 daily devotionals:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed in Come, Follow Me 8/9
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families for Come Follow Me 8/9
- Instead of answering the journal entry with a drawing, you can create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
You might also enjoy these Come Follow Me Workbooks for Kids:
- This whole week we will study just one section – Doctrine & Covenants 88.
- The Lord revealed this section to Joseph Smith, who called it an “olive leaf plucked from the tree of Paradise.”
- An olive leaf is a symbol of peace. The Holy Ghost gives us peace and light. Light is a symbol of knowledge.
- This whole section is to help us know about Christ and the Plan of Salvation and His Atonement.
- What do we learn about Christ and His light in these verses?
- Everyone is born with the light of Christ, to know good from evil.
How can I increase Christ’s light in my life?
Make these light crafts (either the paper lanterns or the jar lanterns)
- We’ve talked before how we are living in a time that is close to the Second Coming.
- What do we learn in these verses about what we should do to be ready?
- We are told to draw near to God and sanctify ourselves. What does this mean?
How can I draw near unto God?
Use magnets to show objects drawing near together or pushing against each other.
- What does the Lord tell us about learning and teaching in these verses?
- What kind of things are we supposed to learn?
- Why do you think the Lord wants us to learn temporal things (like math, reading, etc.), not just spiritual things?
- What kind of house should we have?
How can I make my house like the one described in verses 118-119?
- Jesus Christ is going to come to earth again. This is called the Second Coming.
- Right before He comes, there is going to be a lot of destruction and sorrow as a warning for people to repent and turn to Him. It may be hard for the righteous during this time. But we don’t need to fear if we are faithful to Him.
- When He comes, all of the righteous will be resurrected. There will then be 1,000 years of peace called the Millenium when Satan is bound and can’t do any harm.
- After the Millenium, there will be a final battle of the righteous and the wicked. The righteous will win and will be able to go to the Celestial Kingdom.
- How does this make you feel?
What can I do to prepare for the Second Coming?
- We’ve read these verses before and talked about our home. Now let’s read these verses while thinking about the temple.
- The temple is the House of God. What do you learn about the temple from these verses about how we can prepare to go to the temple?
What can I do to prepare to go to the temple?
“Find that Temple!” (July 2015 Friend). Match the stained-glass windows to the temple they are in.
Primary Children’s Assignment for Come Follow Me 8/9
The Come, Follow Me – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation for Come Follow Me 8/9:
Invite the children to write down or draw one thing they learned that they would like to share with their families.
Sunday Ideas for Kids for Come Follow Me 8/9
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 8/9 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you. If your younger children are struggling during Sacrament, try using these Ideas and Activities to Keep Toddlers and Kids Quiet During Church
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic in Come Follow Me 8/9:
Sunday Kids Activities for Come Follow Me 8/9
- Do this week’s free activity pages from Color Me Christian
- Watch Chapter 31: The Word of Wisdom,” Doctrine and Covenants Stories, 119–22. Talk about how they learned the Word of Wisdom because they were in a school.
- Build temples out of marshmallows and talk about going to the temple.
- Going to the temple coloring page
- “Studying after School” (October 2016 Friend). Find the hidden objects in this illustration of friends helping each other study after school.
- Read Verse: “Reading Feast at the Library” (November 2011 Friend). Then have a reading feast of your own at home.
- “Counting on Family” (July 2007 Friend). An activity that allows young children to count how many family members they have.
- Watch Video: Doctrine and Covenants Stories, “Chapter 19: The Second Coming of Jesus Christ”
- “A Happy Home” (November 2009 Friend). Put together puzzle pieces of a house to learn some things you can do to make your home a happy place.
- “Making Home Special” (July 2018 Friend). Make a poster to talk about what your family does—or can do—to help your home be a special place where the Spirit can be.
- “School Is Cool!” (September 2017 Friend)
- “Jesus Christ Will Come Again” (September 2001 Friend). Use multiplication to solve a puzzle about what Jesus taught his disciples about His Second Coming.
- Second Coming diorama.
- Watch Video: New Testament Stories, “Chapter 46: The Second Coming”
- Watch Video: New Testament Stories, “Chapter 47: The Ten Virgins”
- Color the images and glue them on paper to make a poster about the Second Coming
- Read “A School and an Endowment,” Revelations in Context, 174–82.
- Coloring page: “I can prepare to be worthy to go to the temple.” (July 2011 Friend)
Are these Come Follow Me 8/9 ideas for children useful for you? If so, please share on Pinterest or Facebook!