Come Follow Me 9/6/2021 – Devotionals & FHE for Kids
You can get all of the devotionals here.Last week’s devotional
You also should check out our Google Web Story about our devotionals!
- Family Home Evening
- Scripture of the Week
- Primary Challenge
- Sunday Activity Ideas
- Share on Pinterest!
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 9/6 for Kids
Truth Reflects upon Our Senses
Doctrine and Covenants 98:16, 39–40
- We all want more peace in our homes.
- How do we do that? How can we turn our hearts towards each other?
- One way is to forgive each other.
- We all make mistakes and hurt each other. How can each family member be more forgiving?
- Talk about how many times we should forgive. Jesus says 7 x 70.
- Discuss how it is not about the number, but that we should always be willing to forgive each other.
Do some role playing where you act out scenarios when you may have to forgive someone in your family.
Have something with honey and talk about this cute saying.
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 9/6 for Kids
Work on memorizing this scripture with your children during the week for Come Follow Me 9/6: Doctrine and Covenants 98:3
Therefore, he giveth this promise unto you, with an immutable covenant that they shall be fulfilled; and all things wherewith you have been afflicted shall work together for your good, and to my name’s glory, saith the Lord.
Here are some ideas for marking your scriptures. You can download these tracing sheets as a PDF.
Devotionals for Come Follow Me 9/6 for kids
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use in your daily Come, Follow Me 9/6 devotionals with your children! Please don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Just make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 9/6:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, then your family can have a discussion using the questions/comments provided.
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, after which the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together doing the activity as a family!
Modifications for older children for Come, Follow Me 9/6 daily devotionals:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed in Come, Follow Me 9/6
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families for Come Follow Me 9/6
- Instead of answering the journal entry with a drawing, you can create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
You might also enjoy these Come Follow Me Workbooks for Kids:
Beauty Everywhere (Children’s #232)
Doctrine and Covenants 98:1–3, 11–14; 101:1–16
- The Saints were told to gather Independence, Missouri. Joseph was still in Kirtland.
- The people in Missouri were angry about the Saints moving there. The printing press was destroyed and mobs made them leave their homes.
- These verses are from the Lord to Joseph to comfort the Saints.
- What can we learn about difficult trials from these verses?
How can I strengthen my faith in God’s love?
“Saving the Book of Commandments” (July 2013 Friend)
Help Me, Dear Father (Hymns #99)
Doctrine and Covenants 98:23–48
- When the Saints were being attacked and driven from their homes, some people wanted to fight back.
- What did the Lord tell them in these verses?
- Not all of these things apply to us, but what can we learn about how to act when we are wronged by others?
What should I do the next time someone treats me wrong?
Make forgiveness fingers and memorize the little poem
We’ll Bring the World His Truth (Children’s #172) verses 2 and 3
- John Murdock went on a mission and was gone from his family for an entire year.
- He came back and was almost immediately called on another mission.
- How do you think he felt about having to leave his family a second time?
- What can we learn about when the Lord asks us to do things?
What are some things the Lord has asked me to do that are hard?
Be Still, My Soul (Hymns #124)
- Just a few weeks after Joseph learned of the persecution in Missouri, a recent convert asked him to travel to Canada to share the gospel with his sons.
- Joseph agreed, although he worried about leaving his family, especially because of persecution and threats to his family and the Church.
- On their way to Canada, Joseph and his companion, Sidney Rigdon, prayed for comfort, and section 100 was the Lord’s answer to them.
- How can we apply this section to us?
How can I show the Lord that I have trust in Him?
Cut out the stress meter and talk about the ideas for what to do when you are worried or stressed.
When He Comes Again (Children’s #82) verse 2
Doctrine and Covenants 101:43–65
- The parable in Doctrine and Covenants 101:43–62 was given to explain why the Lord had allowed the Saints to be driven out of Zion.
- As you read these verses, do you see any similarities between yourself and the servants in the parable?
- How might a lack of faith or commitment allow “the enemy” to have influence in our lives?
How can I show God that I am committed to following Him?
Coloring Page: “To prepare for the Second Coming, I will follow Jesus Christ.” (December 2011 Friend)
Primary Children’s Assignment for Come Follow Me 9/6
The Come, Follow Me – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation for Come Follow Me 9/6:
Help the children pick a verse from Doctrine and Covenants 98–101 that they would like to share with their families. Help them plan how they will share what they like about that verse.
Sunday Ideas for Kids for Come Follow Me 9/6
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 9/6 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you. If your younger children are struggling during Sacrament, try using these Ideas and Activities to Keep Toddlers and Kids Quiet During Church
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic in Come Follow Me 9/6:
Sunday Kids Activities for Come Follow Me 9/6
- Do this week’s free activity pages from Color Me Christian
- Read “How can I keep from being afraid when scary things happen in the world?” (September 2012 Friend) and discuss the ways Elder Russell M. Nelson advises to replace fear with peace.
- Watch “Chapter 34: God Warns the People of Zion”
- Read Saints, 1:171–93
- Read Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin’s “How can I have faith when the world seems so scary?” to find some inspiring thoughts on overcoming fear.
- Watch Chapter 35: The Saints Leave Jackson County, Missouri
- Read “Waiting for the Word of the Lord,” Revelations in Context, 196–201.
- Read “A Mission to Canada,” Revelations in Context, 202–7.
- Print this Bright Idea Poster: “Peace, be still.” (December 2011 Friend) and hang it in your home as a reminder.
- Watch the video “A Mother’s Hope”. President Dieter F. Uchtdorf shares how his mother overcame her fear with faith.
- Read “S.O.C.K.S. Rock” (August 2015 Friend and Liahona) and make your own pairs of crazy socks to wear as a reminder.
- Read “A Girl of Great Faith, Part Two: Courage in Independence” (July 2013 Friend).
- Peace word search
- Read “Making Peace With His Enemies” (April 2009 Liahona and Friend) about how Joseph Smith makes peace with his enemies who were trying to harm him.
- Forgiveness word tiles
- I can forgive others coloring page
- “Jesus Christ Will Come Again” (September 2001 Friend). Use multiplication to solve a puzzle about what Jesus taught his disciples about His Second Coming.
- Read “What can we do when hard things happen to us?” (May 2012 Friend ). Elder Robert D. Hales of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles shares some thoughts on this subject.
- Read “Prayers and Potatoes” (January 2014 Friend). Patrick learns that difficulties help us grow so we can become more like Heavenly Father.
- Complete the “Preparing for a Mission” activity (October 2007 Friend). Draw a circle around the pictures of activities that you are already doing to prepare for a mission. Then choose one activity you would like to start doing.
Are these Come Follow Me 9/6 ideas for children useful for you? If so, please share on Pinterest or Facebook!
We’ve been using these every night since Covid began. Thank you for all you do, a dozen times over!!
Oh you’re welcome! I’m so glad these are helpful for you!