Daily devotionals, Family Home Evening (FHE), and Sunday ideas for kids and young children that go with Come, Follow Me for 3/30/2020.
Each day has ways to get ready, and there is a long list of ideas at the end of the post for what to do during Conference.
Family Home Evening Come Follow Me 3/30
Watch the 20-minute video “The Restoration“
- In the October 2019 General Conference, President Russell M. Nelson said:
Thus, the year 2020 will be designated as a bicentennial year. General conference next April will be different from any previous conference. In the next six months, I hope that every member and every family will prepare for a unique conference that will commemorate the very foundations of the restored gospel … Immerse yourself in the glorious light of the Restoration. As you do, general conference next April will be not only memorable; it will be unforgettable.
- That conference President Nelson spoke about is coming up this weekend! This week we will take a break from Come, Follow Me and focus on the Restoration.
- Take some time as a family to talk about the video you watched.
- Look at the list of activities at the end of this post and come up with ones that will work in your family to help keep children focused (or at least entertained!) during General Conference. Add some of them to the Conference binders (see Activity).
Instead of journal prompts this week, we will be printing out activities that will help us learn during General Conference. Have each family member decorate a piece of colored construction paper that will be each child’s “General Conference Notebook.” On Friday, after you have collected all of the different activities, games, etc. that you plan on using throughout the week, staple them together with the construction paper on the top.
Get snacks ready for General Conference! Make First Presidency treat bags (and even for the 12 apostles). Eat some of the yummy treats while you make them. Then on the days of Conference, the kids will get to eat the treats in the bags as that prophet begins speaking.
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 3/30
Devotionals Come Follow Me 3/30
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use! Don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 3/30:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, and then have a discussion about it using the questions/comments provided
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, then the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together with the activity!
Modifications for older children:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families for Come Follow Me 3/30
- Instead of printing the journal entry and answering it with a drawing, create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
(see attachment in the activity and choose a few verses to read)
- We’ve talked about Joseph Smith before. What do you remember about him? (Summarize the story of the First Vision)
- He brought back the gospel and translated the Book of Mormon, which allows us to have the Priesthood, get baptized, and go to the temple.
- This was such an important event, that prophets in every time period knew about it! We’re going to read some of those verses, and you can color the page while we talk about them. (see Activity)
Draw a picture of the First Vision or another scene from the Restoration story.
- The scripture we read is the same scripture Joseph Smith read that made him realize he could pray to find out which was the right church.
- Was that prayer answered? Does Heavenly Father answer our prayers?
- What can we learn about prayer from Joseph’s experience? What did Joseph learn about Heavenly Father and Jesus?
- What happened because Joseph prayed?
Print out page 2 of this PDF and replace President Monson’s picture with a picture of President Nelson. Put it in the Conference binder.
(See the activity)
- When Heavenly Father and Jesus told Joseph that none of the churches had the truth, They told him he would be the one to establish the right church on the earth.
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the same church that Jesus Christ put on the earth. We’re going to read scriptures (see Activity) to compare the two churches.
Print out Conference Squares bingo to use during General Conference
- In verse 30, it says that this is the only true and living church. What does that mean?
- How does the church live? (Read verses 37-38). We have a living prophet and apostles that can keep telling us what the right choices are when the world tells us differently.
Print out the pictures of the First Presidency and 12 Apostles. Write their names on similar sized papers and play a memory game where you match their names to their pictures.
Print out Go For Four game to have during General Conference
- Even though Joseph Smith was killed, what he did will never be taken from the earth. How is that possible? (the Priesthood is passed down by the laying on of hands)
- President Nelson has the exact same priesthood and authority that Joseph Smith was given from Peter, James and John, and also from John the Baptist!
- What do we use the Priesthood for now? (blessings, baptism, sacrament, temple ordinances, etc.)
Get things ready for a special breakfast on Saturday or Sunday morning for Conference. Our family likes to make homemade cinnamon rolls. Then make a Comfy Conference Desk that each child can use at General Conference to do all of the activities that you are printing throughout the week.
Print this General Conference notebook to use during conference. It has space for notes for each of the current apostles.
Sunday Ideas for Come Follow Me 3/30
It’s General Conference this weekend!! Here are some of our absolute favorite activities to help our kids during Conference from Come Follow Me 3/30.
- Conference Cash
- General Conference train
- Any of these 10 free activities from our blog
- Popsicle stick puzzles
- Print this Book of Mormon activity book and this Pearl of Great Price activity book for children to do during conference.
These ideas are all from other blogs:
- 32 General Conference ideas
- 12 General Conference activities
- Several simple General Conference ideas
- 8 General Conference activities from LDS bloggers
- General Conference Eye Spy
- 20 General Conference activities
- General Conference Trail Mix