Come Follow Me 8/30/2021 – Devotionals & FHE for Kids
You can get all of the devotionals here.Last week’s devotional
You also should check out our Google Web Story about our devotionals!
- Family Home Evening
- Scripture of the Week
- Primary Challenge
- Sunday Activity Ideas
- Share on Pinterest!
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 8/30 for Kids
I Love to See the Temple (Children’s #95)
- Look at some pictures of temples.
- What kind of power comes from the temple?
- You could show pictures of the different rooms in the temple and talk about the ordinances that happen there.
- How has your family been blessed with ‘power’ from temples?
Build a block temple together with building blocks.
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 8/30 for Kids
Work on memorizing this scripture with your children during the week for Come Follow Me 8/30: Doctrine & Covenants 95:1
Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you whom I love, and whom I love I also chasten that their sins may be forgiven, for with the chastisement I prepare a way for their deliverance in all things out of temptation, and I have loved you
Here are some ideas for marking your scriptures. You can download these tracing sheets as a PDF.
Devotionals for Come Follow Me 8/30 for kids
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use in your daily Come, Follow Me 8/30 devotionals with your children! Please don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Just make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 8/30:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, then your family can have a discussion using the questions/comments provided.
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, after which the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together doing the activity as a family!
Modifications for older children for Come, Follow Me 8/30 daily devotionals:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed in Come, Follow Me 8/30
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families for Come Follow Me 8/30
- Instead of answering the journal entry with a drawing, you can create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
You might also enjoy these Come Follow Me Workbooks for Kids:
The Chapel Doors (Children’s #156)
Doctrine and Covenants 94:1-12
- The Lord commands the people to build several buildings that will be used by Church leaders to run the Church.
- These aren’t chapels or a temple, but what does the Lord say about those who enter them?
- Any place we do the Lord’s work is a holy place. This applies to our homes as well.
- How should we treat our homes, the church, and the temple?
How can I make my home a holy place?
Help Me, Dear Father (Children’s #99) verse 2
- Back in D&C 88, the Lord commanded the people to build a temple. That was in January 1833.
- This section is in June 1833 – the Church leaders hadn’t even chosen the place where the temple was to be built!
- What does chasten (or chastise) mean? Sometimes we think it means getting yelled at when we do something wrong. But the Lord says He does it to those whom He loves.
- Chastening is being shown your weaknesses so that you can improve and become better. Why does this show love?
- How does chastening show that your parents love you?
- How should we act when we are chastened?
What should I do when my parents ask me to do something better?
Quickly I’ll Obey (Children’s #197b)
Doctrine and Covenants 95:8, 11–17
- After they were chastened, the Church leaders chose a field.
- Hyrum Smith (Joseph’s brother) immediately ran to get a scythe so he could begin clearing the field.
- What does that teach us about how we should act when the Lord tells us something we need to do better?
What is one thing I can work on today to improve?
I Love to See the Temple (Children’s #95)
- These verses are the Lord telling Joseph more about the temples.
- What do we learn about who can enter the temple?
- What can we do to be worthy to go to the temple?
How can I prepare to enter the temple?
Had I Been a Child (Children’s #80) make sure to sing verse 3
Doctrine and Covenants 97:18–28
- Joseph Smith said, “We ought to have the building up of Zion as our greatest object.”
- At first, to the early Saints, Zion was a physical place – a city where the people of God lived.
- But these verses explain that Zion is anywhere where the pure in heart dwell.
- What does it mean to be pure in heart? How can we be pure in heart?
What can I work on today to be more pure of heart?
“Gathering to Zion” (July 2007 Liahona and Friend)
Primary Children’s Assignment for Come Follow Me 8/30
The Come, Follow Me – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation for Come Follow Me 8/30:
Invite the children to use this week’s activity page to share with their families what they learned today about the temple.
Sunday Ideas for Kids for Come Follow Me 8/30
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 8/30 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you. If your younger children are struggling during Sacrament, try using these Ideas and Activities to Keep Toddlers and Kids Quiet During Church
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic in Come Follow Me 8/30:
Sunday Kids Activities for Come Follow Me 8/30
- Do this week’s free activity pages from Color Me Christian
- Read Moses 7:18 and talk more about what it means to be part of Zion
- Watch the video “Two Apostles Lead a Virtual Tour of the Rome Italy Temple” and talk about going to the temple some day.
- Learn the song “Holding Hands around the World” (search YouTube for the music if needed)
- “I Have a Family and Friends” (May 1989 Friend). Play this game with your family or your friends to remind you of ways that you can show your love for each other and help each other to be happy and live the gospel.
- Play, “Journey to the Temple” (September 2005 Friend). A board game that tests your righteous choices.
- “Service Through Temple Work” (August 2002 Friend). Cut and fold, then glue oxen to make baptismal font.
- “Funstuff: Temples around the World” (March 2015 Friend)
- “The Temple—I’m going There Someday” (August 2009 Liahona and Friend). Draw word strips and move game pieces until everyone reaches the temple.
- “The Temple Is a House of God” (July 2011 Liahona and Friend). Compare these pictures and decide what things are helping the family prepare to visit the temple.
- “Temples in Our Day” (September 2019 Friend). Practice drawing temples using the letter A and solve the picture word puzzle.
- Learning from Mistakes– A four part picture that can be put in order to talk about saying and being sorry.
- Print this Bright Idea Poster: “Everyone makes mistakes. Heavenly Father will help me learn and grow and try again.” (February 2019 Liahona and Friend). Discuss the image and hang it somewhere in your home as a reminder that being chastened isn’t a bad thing; it’s showing love.
Are these Come Follow Me 8/30 ideas for children useful for you? If so, please share on Pinterest or Facebook!