If you find these Come Follow Me 1/29 devotionals and other ideas for kids useful, please share them with others!
You can get all of the devotionals here.Last week’s devotionals
Click the topic to jump to where you want to go:
- Family Home Evening
- Scripture of the Week
- Primary Challenge
- Sunday Activity Ideas
- Share on Pinterest!
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 1/29 for Kids
Search, Ponder, and Pray (Children’s #109)
- We are given the scriptures not just so we know the history of the people that wrote them, but so that we can apply the lessons to our own lives.
- Nephi called this ‘likening’ the scriptures and used the scriptures to teach lessons to his family.
- What scripture stories can you use to compare to your life?
Act out your favorite scripture stories, then discuss how you can liken them.
Devotionals for Come Follow Me 1/29 for Kids
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use in your daily Come, Follow Me 1/29 devotionals with your children! Please don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Just make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 1/29:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, then your family can have a discussion using the questions/comments provided.
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, after which the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together doing the activity as a family!
Modifications for older children for Come, Follow Me 1/29 daily devotionals:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed in Come, Follow Me 1/29
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Home and Church: Book of Mormon 2024 for Come Follow Me 1/29
- Instead of answering the journal entry with a drawing, you can create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
- Here are some ideas for marking your scriptures.
Choose the Right Way (Children’s #160)
- When Ishmael died, Nephi and his family all reacted differently.
- What was the difference? Why do you think some were angry and some were not?
- What can you do so that you can be happy and grateful even when hard things happen?
What am I grateful for that I could think about next time I feel angry?
“Give,” Said the Little Stream (Children’s #236)
- God guided Lehi and his family through the wilderness with words and a pointer on the Liahona.
- What did they need to do to make it work?
- What are some of the small ways that Heavenly Father helps you?
- Watch “The Lord Guides Lehi’s Journey“
What can I use as my own Liahona?
Israel, Israel, God Is Calling (Hymns #7)
- Although Nephi and his brothers had the same challenges in the wilderness, their experiences were very different.
- What did Nephi know or do that helped him have a faithful perspective?
- What trials have we had recently? How can we view them with a perspective of faith and gratitude?
- Watch “No Strength without Struggle”
How can I keep a faithful perspective?
- What helped Nephi have courage when his brothers mocked him for trying to build the boat?
- Nephi did not know how to build a boat, so he relied on instruction from the Lord.
- How can I hear the Lord’s instructions?
- How can the Lord help you when you have something hard to do?
- Watch “The Lord Commands Nephi to Build a Ship”
How can the Lord help you when you have something hard to do?
Make homemade boats and have races in a nearby lake (or in the bathtub!)
Hope of Israel (Hymns #259)
- The scriptures talk about the House of Israel and the Gentiles a lot.
- Who were the Gentiles? Who are they in our day?
- Isaiah prophesied that the gospel would be given to the Gentiles in the last days and they would be an important part of bringing the gospel to the House of Israel.
How can I share the gospel with someone this week?
Primary Children’s Activities for Come Follow Me 1/29
The Come, Follow Me – Home and Church: Book of Mormon 2024 manual suggests that you look at this month’s issue of the Friend magazine for more ideas.
There is also an activity page in this week’s section of the CFM manual.
Sunday Ideas for Kids for Come Follow Me 1/29
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 1/29 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you
If your younger children are struggling during Sacrament Meeting, try using these Ideas and Activities to Keep Toddlers and Kids Quiet During Church
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic in Come Follow Me 1/29
Sunday Kids Activities for Come Follow Me 1/29
- Do this week’s free activity pages from Color Me Christian (or do them in the workbook if you purchased it from Amazon).
- Watch “Lehi’s Family Sails to the Promised Land”
- Read Anthony D. Perkins, “Remember Thy Suffering Saints, O Our God,” Liahona, Nov. 2021, 103–5;
- Watch “He Will Give You Help”
- Read Amy A. Wright, “Christ Heals That Which Is Broken,” Liahona, May 2022
- Watch Chapter 7: Building the Ship,” in Book of Mormon Stories, 21–22;
- Watch the five Book of Mormon videos based on 1 Nephi 17-18
- Coloring Page: “Lehi’s Family Studied the Scriptures” (January 2020 Liahona and Friend)
- Nephi building the boat dot-to-dot
- Laman and Lemuel Bind Nephi photo search
- Take turns pretending to be one of Lehi’s family. Conduct a “news interview” and ask them questions about their journey.
- Nephi builds a ship coloring page
- Use popsicle sticks to build your own boat like Nephi.
- “Compass of Faith” (February 1988 Liahona and June 1987 Friend). Includes figures of Lehi and his family and a dot-to-dot activity of the Liahona.
- Nephi Builds a Ship Activity Page
- “Book of Mormon Cutouts” (January 2020 Liahona and Friend). Cut out these pictures to act out the stories of Lehi and Sariah’s family.
- “Following the Liahona” (January 2020 Friend). An action rhyme about Lehi’s family being led in the wilderness.
Are these Come Follow Me 1/29 ideas for children useful for you? If so, please share on Pinterest or Facebook!