Daily devotionals, Family Home Evening (FHE), and Sunday ideas for kids and young children that go with Come, Follow Me for 12/28/2020.
You also should check out our Google Web Story about our devotionals!
- Family Home Evening
- Scripture of the Week
- Primary Challenge
- Sunday Activity Ideas
- Share on Pinterest!
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 12/28 for Kids
Follow the Prophet – Last verse
- Show pictures of warning signs (traffic, wet floor, etc.)
- What is the purpose of these signs? Why should we pay attention to them?
- In these verses we find some warnings from Heavenly Father.
- How does the Lord warn us?
- What are some recent warnings?
- Are we listening to them? How can we listen better?
Print out this “Church History Reading Challenge: The Restoration” (January 2017 Liahona and Friend). Color the selections that were read this week, and refer to it each Sunday throughout the year.
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 12/28 for Kids
Work on memorizing this scripture with your children during the week for Come Follow Me 12/28: D&C 1:38
What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same.
Here are some ideas for marking your scriptures.
Devotionals for Come Follow Me 12/28 for kids
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use in your daily Come, Follow Me / devotionals with your children! Please don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Just make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 12/28:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, then your family can have a discussion using the questions/comments provided.
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, after which the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together doing the activity as a family. Just click on the image to open it as an image file to print.
Modifications for older children for Come, Follow Me 12/28 daily devotionals:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families for Come Follow Me 12/28
- Instead of answering the journal entry with a drawing, you can create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
You may also like these Come Follow Me Workbooks for Kids!
- We have studied the New Testament, which happened in Jesus’s time in Jerusalem, the Old World. We have also studied the Book of Mormon, which is the same time as the New Testament but in the Americas, the New World.
- Now this year we are going to study the Doctrine and Covenants, or D&C. This is revelation from Heavenly Father that was given to Joseph Smith when he was starting the Church of Jesus Christ. Each chapter is actually called a section.
- Why do you think the D&C is important for us? How is it similar to other books of scripture? How is it different?
Get the study journal set up for the year. This can be in a binder with loose-leaf paper, or it can be a spiral notebook or a sketchpad. Children can draw their answers or write them if they are old enough.
- The Lord calls D&C section 1 a “preface” to the entire book. A preface introduces a book. It identifies the book’s themes and purposes and helps readers prepare to read.
- As we study section 1 this week, we will see what themes the Lord wants us to focus on. What are some themes we learn in these verses? (write them in your journal)
- A voice of warning
- The Lord speaks through prophets
- Heavenly Father knows everything
Start a list of the the themes the Lord states in D&C 1. Leave space to continue the list throughout the week.
- One important theme in D&C 1 (and all of D&C) is that the Lord will always reveal His secrets to His servants the prophets.
- Joseph Smith started the last dispensation – that means that the Church will be on the earth until the Second Coming. The Lord did this so we could all know what things are going to happen now in the time leading up until the Second Coming.
- What are some ways that having a current prophet has blessed us?
What can I do to listen to the current prophet?
- One theme mentioned in D&C 1 is that the Lord will “chasten” His people and that everyone’s sins will become known. This is similar to when you get in trouble at home for being disobedient to rules.
- Chastening doesn’t always feel good, but it always leads to happiness if we are humble and listen to the chastening.
- What do these verses tell us about how we should react when we are chastened? How does the Lord view our sins and imperfections?
What can I do better this week?
- Some of the things before the Second Coming might seem a bit scary. But we know that if we are prepared, we don’t need to be afraid.
- What do these verses tell us are the things that Heavenly Father has done to help us be prepared?
What things can I do to be prepared for the Second Coming?
Primary Children’s Assignment for Come Follow Me 12/28
The Come, Follow Me – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation for Come Follow Me 12/28:
Review with the children what they learned today, and invite them to pick one thing that they feel everyone should know about. Encourage them to share it with a friend or family member.
Sunday Ideas for Kids for Come Follow Me 12/28
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 12/28 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you.
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic in Come Follow Me 12/28:
- Do this week’s free activity pages from Color Me Christian
- Watch the video “Seek the Lord” on the Church’s website
- Read and watch this short video/story about the Doctrine and Covenants
- Look up pictures of warning signs—such as traffic hazards, bad weather, or poison—and talk about how they warn us of danger. Or tell a story about a time when you obeyed a warning. Compare these warnings to the warnings the Lord gives us through His prophets.
- Read “Interesting Facts about the Doctrine and Covenants” (February 1993 Friend) and add any missing themes to the list the children made in their journals during the week.
- Watch the video “The True and Living Church” on the Church’s website
- Talk about Joseph Smith and what the children know about him. It’s okay if they don’t know very much right now – that’s what this year is for!
- Read “The Doctrine and Covenants” (February 1989 Liahona) for an explanation of why we have the Doctrine and Covenants and some things it contains.
- Play a simple game by giving instructions to one child and asking him or her to repeat the instructions for the other children. Help them see that following the child’s instructions is the same as following your instructions and that following the prophet is the same as following the Lord.
- Look up talks from the prophet from the last General Conference and see what he has to say.
- Play these Articles of Faith games to memorize them
- Read the article “Doctrine and Covenants—Voice of Warning to All People” (January 1989 Friend)
Are these Come Follow Me 12/28 ideas for children useful for you? If so, please share on Pinterest or Facebook!