If you find these Come Follow Me 2/5 devotionals and other ideas for kids useful, please share them with others!
And don’t miss out on our free 240 page Book of Mormon chapter-by-chapter study guide journal for kids and adults. It’s the perfect companion to this year’s Come Follow Me’s topics.
You can get all of the devotionals here.Last week’s devotionals
Click the topic to jump to where you want to go:
- Family Home Evening
- Scripture of the Week
- Primary Challenge
- Sunday Activity Ideas
- Share on Pinterest!
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 2/5 for Kids
Choose the Right Way (Children’s #160)
- Agency is a core part of the Plan of Salvation.
- God wants to know if He can trust us to give us His power and glory someday.
- To have a fair choice, we need to be tempted by both the good and bad choices.
- Why do you think it is important that we learn to choose the right from the wrong?
- It is part of our eternal progression.
Devotionals for Come Follow Me 2/5 for Kids
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use in your daily Come, Follow Me 2/5 devotionals with your children! Please don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Just make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 2/5:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, then your family can have a discussion using the questions/comments provided.
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, after which the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together doing the activity as a family!
Modifications for older children for Come, Follow Me 2/5 daily devotionals:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed in Come, Follow Me 2/5
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Home and Church: Book of Mormon 2024 for Come Follow Me 2/5
- Instead of answering the journal entry with a drawing, you can create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
- Here are some ideas for marking your scriptures.
On A Golden Springtime (Children’s #88)
- Lehi is going to die, so he calls his children and teaches them.
- How does Lehi describe the spiritual condition of Laman and Lemuel?
- What could help them wake up from the spiritual deep sleep?
- How can they shake off the spiritual chains?
- What sleep and chains are in our lives? How can we awake and shake them off?
What message does Heavenly Father have for me in verses 15 and 23?
Make paper chains and write down the things that spiritually tie you down on each link. Tie each other up with them, then break through.
“Come, Come Ye Saints” (Hymns #30)
- Lehi knew that his young son Jacob had suffered “afflictions” and “much sorrow” during his childhood.
- Why do you think Lehi’s testimony in these verses would be valuable to Jacob? How is it valuable to you?
- How has God “consecrated your affilictions for your gain”?
How have I been blessed by a recent difficulty in my life?
Choose the Right (Hymns #239)
- Lehi taught his son Jacob about agency, or the ability to make choices.
- What things do we need in order to have agency (knowledge of good and evil, ability to choose)
- Why is agency so important to Heavenly Father, even though some people use it in hurtful ways?
- Why is it important to know that we have agency and can make our own choices?
How can I use my agency for good?
Play a game about opposites. Take turns saying a word, then the other person/people think of its opposites.
I Will Follow God’s Plan (Children’s #164)
- What does it mean that Adam ‘fell?’
- Was this a terrible thing? Why was it necessary?
- Why was it important that man be separated from God for a period of time?
- What role did Jesus Christ play in overcoming the Fall?
- The Atonement is the critical part of the plan that allows us to return from the Fall.
- How does correctly understanding the Fall help us better understand our need for Jesus Christ?
How can I stay close to God?
Keep the Commandments (Children’s #120)
- Now that we’ve learned about agency and its consequences all week, why do you think commandments are a blessing?
- How do the commandments keep us safe?
- How does obedience make me free?
How does Jesus Christ make me free?
Draw a picture of an animal in captivity, then draw it again in its natural environment.
Primary Children’s Activities for Come Follow Me 2/5
The Come, Follow Me – Home and Church: Book of Mormon 2024 manual suggests that you look at this month’s issue of the Friend magazine for more ideas.
There is also an activity page in this week’s section of the CFM manual.
Sunday Ideas for Kids for Come Follow Me 2/5
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 2/5 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you
If your younger children are struggling during Sacrament Meeting, try using these Ideas and Activities to Keep Toddlers and Kids Quiet During Church
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic in Come Follow Me 2/5
Sunday Kids Activities for Come Follow Me 2/5
- Do this week’s free activity pages from Color Me Christian (or do them in the workbook if you purchased it from Amazon).
- Watch “Lehi Blesses Jacob“
- Watch these Mormon Messages about agency and making choices:
- Read Dale G. Renlund, “Infuriating Unfairness,” Liahona, May 2021
- Watch “Lehi Teaches His Family“
- Write phrases from 2 Nephi 1:20 on strips of paper, and discuss what the phrases mean. Invite the children to put the strips in the correct order using the verse. To illustrate the difference between prospering and being cut off, show the children a healthy plant and a leaf or branch that has been cut off from the plant. What is the difference between a leaf that is on the plant and one that has been cut off? How are we like the leaf on the plant when we obey God’s commandments? Invite the children to record in a journal ways God blesses them when they choose the right.
- “Agency Is the Gift to Choose for Ourselves” (Jan. 2012 Liahona and Friend). A message and printable game about choosing the right.
- “What Makes You Smile?” booklet
- Watch “Lehi Teaches How We Might Have Joy“
- Read Dallin H. Oaks, “The Great Plan of Happiness,” Ensign, Nov. 1993
- Coloring Page: “Jesus created the earth as a place where I can learn to choose the right.” (Jan. 2012 Friend)
- What do these verses in 2 Nephi 1:13-25 teach us about a righteous parent’s greatest wishes for his or her children? Have the parents and/or caregivers in the family share personal desires they have for each individual child.
- Learn this new song Whenever I Have to Choose
- Adam & Eve crossword puzzle
- Adam and Eve finger puppets
Are these Come Follow Me 2/5 ideas for children useful for you? If so, please share on Pinterest or Facebook!