If you find these Come Follow Me 8/26 devotionals and other ideas for kids useful, please share them with others!
You can get all of the devotionals here.Last week’s devotionals
Click the topic to jump to where you want to go:
- Family Home Evening
- Scripture of the Week
- Primary Challenge
- Sunday Activity Ideas
- Share on Pinterest!
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 8/26 for Kids
The Wise Man and the Foolish Man (Children’s #281)
- Talk about what a foundation is and what its purpose is.
- Build a small structure out of small blocks. Try building on something firm and smooth vs sand/dirt/wadded up blankets
- Try to blow down the structure with a hair dryer (wind)
- How is Christ a ‘sure’ foundation for us?
- What kinds of storms do we encounter in our lives?
Take turns seeing who can build the most secure structure.
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 8/26 for Kids
Work on memorizing this scripture with your children during the week for Come Follow Me 8/26: Alma 5:12
And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation… which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.
And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.
You can download these tracing sheets as a PDF.
Devotionals for Come Follow Me 8/26 for Kids
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use in your daily Come, Follow Me 8/26 devotionals with your children! Please don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Just make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 8/26:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, then your family can have a discussion using the questions/comments provided.
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, after which the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together doing the activity as a family!
Modifications for older children for Come, Follow Me 8/26 daily devotionals:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed in Come, Follow Me 8/26
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Home and Church: Book of Mormon 2024 for Come Follow Me 8/26
- Instead of answering the journal entry with a drawing, you can create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
- Here are some ideas for marking your scriptures.
Be Thou Humble (Hymns #130)
- What is pride? (Thinking you are better than others or God)
- What evidences of pride do you see among the Nephites? Do you see similar evidence of pride in yourself?
- Talk about the pride cycle. Draw it out on a paper or look at this image.
How do I see the pride cycle in my life?
I Need Thee Every Hour (Hymns #98)
- What are the consequences of pride?
- What are the consequences of humility and repentance?
- How are those consequence shown in our daily lives?
What happens when I have pride?
Print the pride cycle (halfway down the page) and fill it out
The Wise Man and the Foolish Man (Children’s #281)
- What do you remember from what we learned in FHE?
- How has your faith in the Savior been strengthened in your life?
- How have we found safety from life’s storms in Jesus Christ?
- Watch “A Secure Anchor”
How can I make Christ my anchor today?
More Holiness Give Me (Hymns #131)
- What happened to the righteous when the people were wicked?
- What did Heavenly Father do?
- Why do you think Heavenly Father saved Nephi and Lehi, but not Abinadi or the righteous people that Alma saw burned?
- Heavenly Father has a purpose for every single person, and He won’t let that purpose be destroyed by wicked people.
How can I have faith in Heavenly Father even when things seem bad?
Make the stress meter and talk about what you can do when you feel overwhelmed.
The Still Small Voice (Children’s (#106)
- How did the people hear the Holy Ghost?
- What did they need to do to bring the light into the darkness?
- How have you felt the Holy Ghost?
- When have you felt dark, like the Lamanites? Did Heavenly Father help you feel light?
- Watch “Chapter 37: Nephi and Lehi in Prison”
What can I do to listen for the Holy Ghost this week?
Primary Children’s Activities for Come Follow Me 8/26
The Come, Follow Me – Home and Church: Book of Mormon 2024 manual suggests that you look at this month’s issue of the Friend magazine for more ideas.
There is also an activity page in this week’s section of the CFM manual.
Sunday Ideas for Kids for Come Follow Me 8/26
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 8/26 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you
If your younger children are struggling during Sacrament Meeting, try using these Ideas and Activities to Keep Toddlers and Kids Quiet During Church
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic in Come Follow Me 8/26
Sunday Kids Activities for Come Follow Me 8/26
- Do this week’s free activity pages from Color Me Christian (or do them in the workbook if you purchased it from Amazon).
- Read “Chapter 18: Beware of Pride,” Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Ezra Taft Benson (2014), 229–40.
- Do this Puffed up balloon activity to talk about pride.
- Read Russell M. Nelson, “The Temple and Your Spiritual Foundation,” Liahona, Nov. 2021, 93–96.
- Look up the Pride Cycle scriptures in this chart
- Read “Beware of Pride” by President Ezra Taft Benson and talk about how these show up in your lives and how to overcome them.
- Look at this updated pride cycle and talk about agency and pride – wickedness is not inevitable if we are careful
- Read Sean Douglas, “Facing Our Spiritual Hurricanes by Believing in Christ,” Liahona, Nov. 2021, 109–11.
- Read this blog post about having a sure foundation.
- Make the room as dark as possible; then read or summarize the account in Helaman 5:20–40 using a small flashlight. How might the Lamanites have felt while in the dark? Tell the children to listen for what Aminadab taught the people to do so that the darkness would be lifted, and then read verse 41. Then turn the lights on, and read verses 42–48 together. What do these verses teach us about the blessings that repentance brings to our lives?
- Read these Friend articles about worry and fear
- Read these Friend articles about the Holy Ghost
- “The Gifts and Fruits of the Spirit” (December 2006 Friend). A word search about the gifts and fruits of the Spirit.
- “The Holy Ghost Testifies of the Truth of All Things”(June 2010 Liahona and Friend). A journal activity that teaches about the Holy Ghost. Includes a question-and-answer Liahona craft.
- Color these figures of the Wise Man and the Foolish Man to act out the story of building foundations on Christ. Read Helaman 5:12 with it.
- Color the cartoon of the wise man building his foundation
- Play the game to see if these activities build on a rock. Then make the Jesus Christ rock as a reminder.
Are these Come Follow Me 8/26 ideas for children useful for you? If so, please share on Pinterest or Facebook!