Daily devotionals, Family Home Evening (FHE), and Sunday ideas for kids and young children that go with Come, Follow Me for 1/18/2021.
You also should check out our Google Web Story about our devotionals!
- Family Home Evening
- Scripture of the Week
- Primary Challenge
- Sunday Activity Ideas
- Share on Pinterest!
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 1/18 for Kids
- The field is a symbol of God’s work.
- What kind of tools do you need for gardening/farming? Why do you need specific tools?
- What are some of the tools you need to do God’s work?
- What can you do to get them?
If you have a garden go through the tools and talk about what each one is used for. If you don’t you can look at pictures of some of them.
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 1/18 for Kids
Work on memorizing this scripture with your children during the week for Come Follow Me 1/18: D&C 4:1-4
Now behold, a marvelous work is about to come forth among the children of men.
Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day.
Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work;
For behold the field is white already to harvest; and lo, he that thrusteth in his sickle with his might, the same layeth up in store that he perisheth not, but bringeth salvation to his soul;
Here are some ideas for marking your scriptures.
Devotionals for Come Follow Me 1/18 for kids
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use in your daily Come, Follow Me / devotionals with your children! Please don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Just make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 1/18:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, then your family can have a discussion using the questions/comments provided.
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, after which the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together doing the activity as a family!
Modifications for older children for Come, Follow Me 1/18 daily devotionals:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed in Come, Follow Me 1/18
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families for Come Follow Me /
- Instead of answering the journal entry with a drawing, you can create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
You might also enjoy these Come Follow Me Workbooks for Kids:
- Joseph Smith began translating the golden plates, and Martin Harris wrote it down for Joseph.
- Martin’s wife was angry and didn’t believe, so Martin asked Joseph if he could take the 116 pages they’d already translated to his wife. The Lord told Joseph no, but they kept asking, so the Lord said yes but not to show them to anyone else.
- Martin didn’t obey; he showed them to his wife, but also many other people because she convinced him to. Those other people later stole the 116 pages.
- Section 3 of D&C is the Lord’s revelation to Joseph and Martin.
- What does the Lord tell Martin and Joseph in verses 1-4?
- The Lord knew when Nephi was writing the plates that this would happen, so he made sure that Nephi wrote the information that was in the beginning to also be in the Book of Nephi.
How can I have faith in the Lord’s plan for me?
- Remember yesterday we talked about Martin Harris losing the 116 pages.
- What does the Lord tell Martin and Joseph in verses 5-15? What are some examples of fearing man instead of God in our lives? Should we be afraid of Heavenly Father?
- How do these verses show forgiveness and mercy?
How can I not “fear man”?
- These verses are often applied to missionaries, but this section is revelation to Joseph Smith, who was not being called as a missionary.
- So these verse are for anyone who desires to serve God. Does this mean us?
- How can we apply these verses to us? What do we need to do to qualify to serve?
What can I do today to be qualified for the work?
Coloring page: “I can be a missionary now.”(September 2011 Friend)
- What do we learn about Joseph Smith and his mission?
- How does his role affect our lives?
- What truths do we know because of Joseph Smith and his revelations?
What is my favorite gospel principle that was restored by Joseph Smith?
- Martin Harris’s wife still kept causing trouble. She sued Joseph Smith and claimed he was tricking people by lying about the gold plates.
- This caused Martin to ask Joseph for more proof the plates were real. Section 5 is the Lord’s response.
- How does the Lord feel about people who want proof instead of going by faith?
- What does the Lord say about how you can gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon?
My testimony of the Book of Mormon is…….
Primary Children’s Assignment for Come Follow Me 1/18
The Come, Follow Me – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation for Come Follow Me 1/18:
Encourage the children to write their testimonies of the Book of Mormon and share them with someone they know.
Sunday Ideas for Kids for Come Follow Me 1/18
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 1/18 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you.
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic in Come Follow Me 1/18:
Sunday Activities for Come Follow Me 1/18
- Do this week’s free activity pages from Color Me Christian
- Read “The Contributions of Martin Harris,” Revelations in Context, 1–9
- Watch Video: D&C Stories, “Chapter 4: Martin Harris and the Lost Pages (1827–1828)”
- Read “The One Hundred and Sixteen Lost Pages” (March 1997 Friend). Retelling of Martin Harris losing the 116 pages of the Book of Mormon.
- Play “Missionary Basketball” (February 2020 Friend). Play this game to practice sharing the gospel.
- “From Golden Plates to a Priceless Book” (March 2017 Friend). A crossword puzzle with clues about the coming forth of the Book of Mormon.
- Play “I Can Be a Missionary Now!” (January 2012 Liahona and Friend).
- “Trust in the Lord” (June 1994 Friend). Fill in the blanks by looking up these 12 scriptures about trust. Then use the words you found to complete a word search activity.
- Show tools (or pictures of tools) that someone might use to work in a field. How do these tools help us?Find things in D&C 4:5–6 that could be like tools for doing God’s work.
- Search D&Cs 4 and make a list of things they learn about what it means to serve God. Ask the kids to add to the list things they learn from the song “I Will Be Valiant” (Children’s, 162).
- Draw pictures depicting the phrase “serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength” (D&C 4:2).
Are these Come Follow Me 1/18 ideas for children useful for you? If so, please share on Pinterest or Facebook!