Come Follow Me 4/13/2020 – Devotionals & FHE for Children
Daily devotionals, Family Home Evening (FHE), and Sunday ideas for kids and young children that go with Come, Follow Me for 4/13/2020.
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 4/13
Come, Listen to a Prophet’s Voice
- Last week we had General Conference. What did we do to prepare for General Conference?
- This was like the Nephite’s General Conference – what did King Mosiah ask them to do to prepare?
- Listening to church leaders is like listening to Heavenly Father Himself. What else do we do to hear God’s word? (Church, scriptures, prayer, etc.)
- What should we do to prepare ourselves to hear His word?
Create the setting for King Benjamin’s speech. Make a small tower and let family members take turns reading King Benjamin’s words while standing on it. The rest of the family can listen from inside a makeshift tent.
Make s’mores like you would if you were camping.
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 4/13
Work on memorizing this scripture during the week for Come Follow Me 4/13: Mosiah 2:17–26
And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.
Devotionalsfor Come Follow Me 4/13
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use! Don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 4/13:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, and then have a discussion about it using the questions/comments provided
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, then the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together with the activity!
Modifications for older children:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed for Come Follow Me 4/13
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families
- Instead of printing the journal entry and answering it with a drawing, create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
Choose the Right Way (Children’s, #160)
- What did King Benjamin teach about the consequences of knowing truth but not living it?
- What did he teach about how to obtain true happiness?
King Benjamin Addresses His People coloring page
What can I do this week to be happier?
I’ll Walk with You (Children’s, #140)
- King Mosiah worked hard to serve his people, even though he was the king! Why did he do that?
- When we serve people, it’s just like we’re serving Heavenly Father because those people are His children.
- Why is service important? How do we feel when we serve? What can we do to serve others? Who should we serve?
“June Service Box” (bottom of the second page)
What is one act of service I can do this week?
When I Am Baptized (Children’s, #103)
- What do you think “natural man” means? The Guide to the Scriptures says it is a person who chooses to be influenced by the passions, desires, appetites, and senses of the flesh rather than by the promptings of the Holy Spirit.
- Is it good to just be a natural man? Why not?
- In what ways do we act like a natural man (fighting, disobeying, etc.)
- How can we “put off” the natural man? What characteristics does the verse tell us we should have instead of the natural man?
“Let Your Light Shine” crossword puzzle
How can I put off the natural man this week?
The First Article of Faith (Children’s, #122a)
- This verse tells us that Jesus is the “father of heaven and earth.” Is Jesus the same person as Heavenly Father?
- Jesus created the whole world. In that way, He is like a father to the world.
- Jesus died for our sins and we take His name on us when we’re baptized, just like a last name tells us what family we belong to. In that way, He’s a bit like an adopted father.
- Heavenly Father is the Father of our spirits, and Jesus is one of His children, just like we are.
“Article of Faith 1” choose one of the activities on the page (or do all of them)
Draw a picture of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.
Seek the Lord Early (Children’s, #108)
- How did the plates of brass and the plates of Nephi bless King Benjamin’s people?
- How do the scriptures bless our family?
“Listen for His Voice” connect the dots
What is my favorite scripture story?
Sunday for Come Follow Me 4/13
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 4/13 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you.
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic for Come Follow Me 4/13
- Read Mosiah 2:15–25. Would it benefit your family to have a discussion about humility? Why did King Benjamin not boast about all he had done? What can we learn from his teachings about our relationship with God?
- Do this fun King Mosiah activity and build towers with marshmallows and toothpicks.
- Do this King Benjamin picture search
- King Benjamin’s tower crossword puzzle
- Read these scriptures and color King Benjamin’s tower
- King Benjamin color-by-number
- Help the children trace their hands on a piece of paper and draw something they can do to serve their families.
- Play a game in which the children pass around an object as they sing a song about gratitude or listen to one (see “Gratitude” in the topics index of the Children’s Songbook). Stop singing or stop the music periodically, and invite whoever is holding the object to share a blessing he or she is grateful for.
- Make something together as a family that requires a recipe. (We’ve got a ton of great ones here on this blog!) Then use Mosiah 3:19 to come up with a “recipe” for how we can become like Jesus Christ. Why is the Atonement of Jesus Christ the most important “ingredient”?
- Look up the verses on this printable and fill each level of the tower with the main idea from that verse.
Primary Assignment for Come Follow Me 4/13
The Come, Follow Me 4/13 – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation:
Invite the children to use this week’s activity page to share with their families or friends how they are going to follow King Benjamin’s example and serve others.