Come Follow Me 8/21/2023 – Devotionals & FHE for Children
If you find these Come Follow Me 8/21 devotionals and other ideas for kids useful, please share them with others!
You can get all of the devotionals here.Last week’s devotionals
Click the topic to jump to where you want to go:
- Family Home Evening
- Scripture of the Week
- Primary Challenge
- Sunday Activity Ideas
- Share on Pinterest!
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 8/21 for Kids
I Am a Child of God (Children’s #2)
- Prepare some small cups of milk and some meat snacks (pepperoni or lunch meat works well.)
- Why do babies eat milk and not meat until they get bigger?
- Do we need to learn somethings before we learn other things that are more complex?
- We learn the alphabet before we learn to read.
- What are some of the basic things that we learn in the Gospel.
Play the game where you bring something to grandma’s house and each person adds somethings that starts with the next letter of the alphabet.
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 8/21 for Kids
Work on memorizing this scripture with your children during the week for Come Follow Me 8/21: 1 Corinthians 6:19
What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
Here are some ideas for marking your scriptures. You can download these tracing sheets as a PDF.
Devotionals for Come Follow Me 8/21 for Kids
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use in your daily Come, Follow Me 8/21 devotionals with your children! Please don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Just make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 8/21:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, then your family can have a discussion using the questions/comments provided.
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, after which the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together doing the activity as a family!
Modifications for older children for Come, Follow Me 8/21 daily devotionals:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed in Come, Follow Me 8/21
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families for Come Follow Me 8/21
- Instead of answering the journal entry with a drawing, you can create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
You might also enjoy these Come Follow Me Workbooks for Kids:
Oh, What Songs of the Heart (Hymns #286)
- What is unity? Why is it important to have in our family?
- How can our family have greater unity?
- What can you do specifically?
How can I help my family have greater unity?
Let the Holy Spirit Guide (Hymns #143)
- What is wisdom?
- What do you think the difference is between the wisdom of the wise/world and the wisdom of God?
- Why do we need God’s wisdom to do his work?
- How do we get wisdom from God?
How can I increase in wisdom?
Owl paper bag puppets. Write words of wisdom on the bag.
Nephi’s Courage (Children’s #120)
- Do you sometimes feel scared or fearful?
- What do you do to have courage?
- Do you trust in the power of God or the power of man to help you feel better?
- What can you do to have more trust in God?
What can I do when I feel afraid?
Make a courage jar
Oh Say, What Is Truth? (Hymns #272)
- How do we learn? If you want to learn something new, what do you do?
- What should you do if you want to understand the things of God more fully?
- The Holy Ghost teaches us truths of God. We can learn new things from him every day.
What can I learn today?
The Lord Gave Me a Temple (Children’s #153)
- Our bodies are temples.
- They are to be used in ways the Heavenly Father wants us to use them.
- Some people treat their bodies like they are only for having fun. We need to take care of them like they are temples.
How can I take care of my body?
Primary Children’s Assignment for Come Follow Me 8/21
The Come, Follow Me – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation for Come Follow Me 8/21:
Invite the children to share with their families a song that they sang in class and what they learned from it.
Sunday Ideas for Kids for Come Follow Me 8/21
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 8/21 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you. If your younger children are struggling during Sacrament, try using these Ideas and Activities to Keep Toddlers and Kids Quiet During Church
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic in Come Follow Me 8/21
Sunday Kids Activities for Come Follow Me 8/21
- Do this week’s free activity pages from Color Me Christian
- Create actions for the song “The Wise Man and the Foolish Man” (Children’s Songbook, 281), and sing the song as a family.
- Sing together a song about bodies, such as “Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes” (Children’s Songbook, 275), and discuss why you are thankful for your bodies.
- “Body Blessings” (March 1991 Friend). Figure out the missing word by crossing out items on the list that are bad for our bodies.
- Coloring page: “He Gave Me My Ears That I Might Hear” (April 2015 Friend)
- “Bulletin Board: Healthy and Happy” (March 2012 Friend). An activity to help you know if you are getting enough exercise.
- Coloring Page: “I Am Thankful for My Body” (March 2017 Liahona and Friend)
- “Bulletin Board: Healthy and Happy” (May 2012 Friend). Answer these questions to help you know if you keep your body clean. Includes information about washing hands, bathing, and brushing teeth.
- “Every Body Is Beautiful” (May 2018 Friend). Bodies come in all colors, shapes, and sizes. Look at the children on this page and tell what they have in common and what is different.
- Who Was Afraid? – Review Bible characters who overcame fearful situations.
- “My Body—a Temple” (May 2002 Friend). Includes an activity to create a paper doll that will remind you to take care of your body.
- “My Busy Body” (November 2007 Friend). An activity/illustration for small children about the blessing of our body.
- “Taking Care of Me!” (August 2011 Friend). A checklist of instructions for taking care of your body.
- “Your Body Is a Temple” (August 2019 Liahona and Friend). A game you can play to learn more about how your body is temple.
- “Family Maze” (August 2010 Liahona and Friend). The family in the maze wants to be united. Help them to find the same path. Then draw a picture of your own family in the house.
- “I Have a Family and Friends” (May 1989 Friend). Play this game with your family or your friends to remind you of ways that you can show your love for each other and help each other to be happy and live the gospel.
Are these Come Follow Me 8/21 ideas for children useful for you? If so, please share on Pinterest or Facebook!
Thank you so much for putting this together! It makes CFM so much more doable with my little ones!