Links on this website may be affiliate links. We are an Amazon affiliate, which means we will receive a small compensation for each purchase you make through our links at no extra cost to you.
Hey y’all, Tiffany here.
I’ve often heard the phrase “I didn’t say it would be easy; I only said it would be worth it,” as if coming from our Heavenly Father or the Savior.
t’s true – no one said that this life would be easy. It’s hard.
In fact, it’s the most difficult thing that any of us have ever done. We’ve left our heavenly Home, where we were continually in the loving presence of our Heavenly, to come to earth to gain a body and be tested, where are in the presence of the adversary who wants to destroy us.
It’s inevitable that we will go through hard times. There really is no way around it. If you feel like life is easy, then you’re probably doing something wrong!
Inspirational Resources During Trials
One thing that I’ve learned over the last 9 years of severe Crohn’s and almost 40 hospitalizations is that if you’re feeling sad or depressed or hurt or scared or angry for whatever reason, the ONLY way that you can get through it and be genuinely happy is by turning to Heavenly Father for comfort, love, and guidance.
This isn’t always easy, but each time I’ve done that, I’ve been able to find inspirational resources during my trials that give me hope and inspiration to keep fighting one more day.
I want to share those with you in this post. These are links to conference talks, scriptures, articles, and music that have been my saving grace as I’ve pushed through this life. My hope and prayer is that they can help you as well, for whatever reason.
You can also find many of these songs and talks on our YouTube channel in the “Songs & Talks for Hard Times” playlist.
Inspirational Talks/Articles About Trials
General Conference talks and other articles make for wonderful resources during trials.
I like to print these out so I can write notes on them. If there is a video or audio recording, I like to listen while I follow along with the printout.
The Spirit touches me much more deeply when I can hear the strength of the speaker’s voice.
I also try to pay close attention to the footnotes and use them a reference to find similar articles to help strengthen me.
- “He Heals the Heavy Laden”, Elder Dallin H. Oaks, October 2006 General Conference
- “Faith and Infertility,” Melissa Merrill, April 2011 Ensign
- “It’s True, Isn’t It? Then What Else Matters?” Elder Neil L. Andersen, April 2007 General Conference
- “Mountains to Climb,” President Henry B. Eyring, April 2012 General Conference
- “Cast Not Away Therefore Your Confidence,” Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, March 2000 Ensign
- “The Songs They Could Not Sing,” Elder Quentin L. Cook, October 2011 General Conference
- “Come What May, and Love It,” Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, October 2008 General Conference
- “Your Happily Ever After,” President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, March 2010 General Young Women Meeting
- “None Were With Him,” Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, April 2009 General Conference
- “Healing Soul and Body,” Elder Robert D. Hales, October 1998 General Conference
- “What Thinks Christ of Me?” Elder Neil L. Andersen, April 2012 General Conference
- “True Greatness” Howard W. Hunter, April 1982 General Conference
- “Lessons from Liberty Jail” Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, September 7, 2008 BYU Devotional
- “A Firm Foundation in a Shaky World,” Adam C. Olson, June 2007 Ensign
- “Continue in Patience,” President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, April 2010 General Conference
- “The Atonement Covers All Pain,” Elder Kent F. Richards, April 2011 General Conference
- “Adversity,” President Henry B. Eyring, April 2009 General Conference
- “The Elusive Balance,” Bishop Glenn L. Pace, March 1989 New Era
- “Adversity,” book True to the Faith
- “We Never Walk Alone” President Thomas S. Monson, October 2013 General Conference
- “Behold, We Count Them Happy Which Endure,” Elder Robert D. Hales, April 1998 General Conference
- “Try, Try, Try” President Henry B. Eyring, October 2018 General Conference
- “His Grace Is Sufficient” Brad WIlcox, July 12, 2011 BYU Devotional
- “Wounded” Elder Neil L. Andersen, October 2018 General Conference
- “Like A Broken Vessel” Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, October 2018 General Conference
- “Sunday Will Come” Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, October 2006 General Conference
- “But If Not…” Elder Dennis E. Simmons, April 2004 General Conference
- “That We Might ‘Not….Shrink’ (D&C 19:18)” Elder David A. Bednar, March 3, 2013 CES Devotional for Young Adults
- “The Comforter” President Henry B. Eyring, April 2015 General Conference
- “Face the Future With Faith” President Russell M. Nelson, April 2011 General Conference
- “I Will Not Fail Thee, nor Forsake Thee” President Thomas S. Monson, October 2013 General Conference
- “The Ministry of Angels” Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, October 2008 General Conference
- “Trust in the Lord” Elder RIchard G. Scott, October 1995 General Conference
- “Refined in Our Trials” President James E. Faust, February 2006 Ensign
- “The Sustaining Power of Faith in Times of Uncertainty and Testing” Elder Richard G. Scott, April 2003 General Conference
- “Yet Thou Art There” Elder Neal A. Maxwell, October 1987 General Conference
- “Endure It Well” Elder Neal A. Maxwell, April 1990 General Conference
- “Finding a Safe Harbor” Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, April 2000 General Conference
- “Waiting upon the Lord: Thy Will Be Done” Elder Robert D. Hales, October 2011 General Conference
- “Confide in God Unwaveringly” Elder Ulisses Soares, April 2017 General Conference
- “You Matter to Him” President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, October 2011 General Conference
- “An High Priest of Good Things to Come” Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, October 1999 General Conference
- “He Will Place You on His Shoulders and Carry You Home” President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, April 2016 General Conference
- “Lift Up Your Head and Rejoice” M. Joseph Brough, October 2018 General Conference
- “Hold On” Ann M. Dibb, October 2009 General Conference
- “The Master Healer” Carole M. Stephens, October 2016 General Conference
- “Be Strong in the Lord, and in the Power of His Might” M. Russell Ballard, March 3, 2002 BYU Devotional
Inspirational Music During Trials
I have all of these songs on my iTunes, and use them in a playlist called “Bad Day.” It’s not angry music, but rather calming music that seems to speak how I’m feeling.
Music is a wonderful inspirational resource during trials. I put it on whenever I feel overwhelmed or alone. Not all of them are LDS, but I love the messages.
- Anyway – Martina McBride
- Blessings – Laura Story
- The Test – Janice Kapp Perry
- His Image in Your Countenance – Janice Kapp Perry
- Faith in Every Footstep – Mormon Tabernacle Choir
- One Prayer Away – City of Enoch
- Let Him Heal Your Heart – Joseph Hale and Young Ambassadors
- Fearless Heart – Katherine Nelson
- Because He Lives – City of Enoch
- In His Embrace – Katherine Nelson
- Everything to Win – Michael Webb
- El Shaddai – Amy Grant
- Prayer of the Walking Child – Dave Tinney
- Gethsemane – Kenneth Cope
- I Heard Him Come – Afterglow
- Breathe In Me – Kenneth Cope
- Grown-Up Christmas List – Amy Grant
- He Walked a Mile in My Shoes – David Osmond
- The Prayer – Josh Groban and Charlotte Church
- Falling Down – City of Enoch
- The Impossible – Joe Nichols
- Come Unto Him – John Canaan
- You Melt the Madness – Jericho Road
- What Did He Die For? – Hilary Weeks
- Be Still My Soul (In You I Rest) – Kari Jobe
- He Came For Me – Kenneth Cope
- When I Sang – Cheri Call
- Never – Jenny Jordan Frogley
- Who You Are – Hilary Weeks
- Come Take Your Place – Hilary Weeks
- Life Ain’t Always Beautiful – Gary Allan
- Thy Will – Mercy River
- Sweet Redeemer – City of Enoch
- Emma – Mindy Gledhill
- Walk His Way – Joel McCausland
- You Raise Me Up – Josh Groban
- Just Let Me Cry – Hilary Weeks
- Calling You – Dave Kimball
- Stand In Holy Places – Jenny Jordan Frogley
- The Things I Know – Doug Walker
- Where Faith Lives – Cherie Call
- Lessons Learned – Carrie Underwood
- King – Lauren Aquilina
- My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Thee – Rob Gardner
- Ha De Ser Dificil Siendo El Salvador – Cameron Steele
- You Surround Me – Katherine Nelson
- Every Storm (Runs Out of Rain) – Gary Allan
- I am Another Witness – Janice Kapp Perry
- Praise You In This Storm – Casting Crowns
- We All Need Saving – Vocal Point
- God So Loved the World – City of Enoch
- I Love the Lord – BYU Men’s Chorus
- Hold On, the Light Will Come – Michael McLean
- Beautiful Heartbreak – Hilary Weeks
- 2000 – City of Enoch
- Find You On My Knees – Kari Jobe
- Sometimes He Lets It Rain – Stephanie Hill
- Sorrow – Sleeping At Last
- Savior, Redeemer of My Soul – Vocal Point
- Thy Will – Hillary Scott & The Scott Family
I couldn’t find a link to listen to any of these songs for free, but they are beautiful:
- The Things I Cannot Change, Jeff McLean
- I’ll Believe In Him, Kenneth Cope
- Crossroads, from “Our Search for Happiness” CD (Based on Elder Ballard’s book)
- Teddy Bear Corner, Afterglow (This is the song I danced to with my daddy at my wedding
I feel like hymns from the LDS Hymnbook deserve a special section as their own inspirational resource during trials.
You can find the lyrics and music to all of the hymns here I love to read all the lyrics of every single of verse while listening to the music (either with or without words). They take on a whole new meaning for me when I do. .
- 19 – We Thank Thee, Oh God, for a Prophet
- 27 – Praise to the Man
- 29 – A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief
- 30 – Come, Come Ye Saints
- 81 – Press Forward, Saints
- 85 – How Firm a Foundation
- 97 – Lead, Kindly Light
- 98 – I Need Thee Every Hour
- 105 – Master, the Tempest Is Raging
- 117 – Come Unto Jesus
- 124 – Be Still, My Soul
- 129 – Where Can I Turn for Peace?
- 165 – Abide With Me; ‘Tis Eventide
- 166 – Abide With Me!
- 266 – The Time Is Far Spent
- 292 – O My Father
- 305 – The Light Divine
These scriptures are not just Book of Mormon verses, but also Bible verses that have been an amazing support and strength for me.
I love reading. One of my favorite things to do is to curl up with a good book.
In fact, as a child, the worst punishment I would receive from my parents for disobedience was to be grounded from reading and go play outside or with friends!
As I have made this journey, I have come across books written by incredible people that have given me strength. Some of these are autobiographies, while others are inspirational.
Here are some of my favorite books that I have read time and again as inspirational resources during my trials.
I know prayer isn’t something that I can put a link to, but it is just as vital as scripture study in turning to the Lord for comfort. Prayer is the perfect inspirationaal resource during a trial.
It’s okay to feel angry or upset. It’s natural to wonder if Heavenly Father is really there or if He’s even listening to you.
The Savior in the Garden asked if He could have the cup be taken from Him. Even though He knew He couldn’t give up, He still expressed His feelings to His Father in Heaven.
Then later on the cross, He asked the Father why He (Jesus) had been forsaken.
For the first time His life, the Savior felt the same loneliness we all experience at one time or another. He felt it to the acutest degree, but still He kept up His faith.
He could have chosen to die, right there and then, because of His mortal mother.
But He didn’t.
He stayed until the very end, and then at the last, turned Himself over to His Father.
For more information about this, see Elder Jeffrey R. Holland’s talk “None Were With Him.”
Elder Bednar gave two amazing talks in General Conference about the proper way to pray to our Heavenly Father.
Pin These Inspirational Resources!
Share these inspirational resources with others who are going through trials on Pinterst.