Hey y’all, Tiffany here.
A few year’s ago on Mother’s Day, the women at church provided us with breakfast during our Sunday meeting.
Having Crohn’s disease means that I typically don’t get to eat what’s served at social functions. I’m sensitive to fiber, acidic foods, and spicy foods.
(The last time I ate a few bites of salad, I was in so much pain I ended up in the ER a couple of days before Christmas.)
One of the women finally convinced me to try a few bites of the breakfast egg casserole, which I hesitantly agree to.
I tentatively took a small bite, and then I almost died.
It was delicious! I took another bite, and another, and another, until I had gone back for thirds. The delicious, cheesy concoction was like manna from heaven.
(I regretted it later, however, since I didn’t pick out the chilis or sausage.)
I begged for the recipe, and now I make it for almost every potluck breakfast/brunch I go to. It’s always a hit, and I’ve never taken home a casserole dish that wasn’t scraped bare!
- (this is the secret ingredient!)
for the breakfast egg casserole.
I like cooking it in these cute casserole dishes.
An earlier version of this post Tiffany wrote is published on The Crazy Shopping Cart.
- 1 stick butter or margarine, melted
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 1 pint small curd cottage cheese (this is the secret ingredient!)
- 1 pound shredded cheese: Mexican blend or monterey jack/cheddar blend
- 8 oz chopped mild green chilis (2 small cans)
- 1 lb sausage, bacon, or other meat
- Cook the sausage and cut into bite-size pieces
- Lightly beat eggs in a bowl, then blend the flour, baking powder, and salt into eggs.
- Add melted butter, chilis, shredded cheese, and cottage cheese. Mix until just blended.
- Stir in sausage.
- Bake in a 9×13 pan at 350* for 45 minutes, or until eggs are done. (Lightly browned on top and set in the middle.)
Pin this breakfast egg casserole!
Share the recipe for this delicious breakfast egg casserole on Pinterest!
Check out our breakfast egg casserole recipe webstory!