Hello, I’m Grace.
As a mom and a math educator, I know that one of the keys to learning math is to engage in it. They often wonder what they need math for. There are many important ways to apply math in the real world, it boosts engagement when they understand this.
From Tiffany: Couponing is one way to do this! Learn how couponing teaches 12 key math skills.
So how do you get your kids to engage and actually enjoy math? You could get them to practice by enrolling in structured math courses. Once your child understands math, they will begin to love it. Here is a video that gives more information.
Another way is through math apps. Kids today love technology. If you are like me I know you are tired of arguing over screen time with your kids. Instead of limiting screen time, use it for learning
Why Math Apps for Kids?
- Math apps will help your kids actually learn math and retain the information. This is important in passing a math test.
- Math apps will keep your child engaged. Let’s face it, they love playing games on their tablets or phones so why not a math game?
- Math apps will help your kids think. Nothing like a little competition to use those brain cells.
- Math apps help kids practice. Practice helps anyone retain math. The more you practice the better you will get at it.
- You will not need to force your child to practice math. They will want to do it on their own.
From Tiffany: want to help your child with their reading as well as math? Use this fun monthly reading chart all year long!
7 Best Math Apps for Kids to Improve Their Math Skills
There are so many math apps out there. I did a lot of research from both a mom and an educator’s perspective and rounded up the best apps. These apps are great for engagement and learning. I did the work so you don’t have to. Here is a list of 7 of the best math apps to improve your child’s math skills.
- Prodigy math game improves arithmetic and problem-solving skills which are crucial in math.
- As kids play the games they are offered rewards and quests
- There are diagnostic tests to ensure your child is at the right level.
- The game is designed for children in 1st-8th grade
- The app is free
- The rocket math app offers a feature that helps correct careless mistakes. In turn your child will learn to make less mistakes.
- Children learn math in a simplified and exciting rocket mission.
- It is best for kids aged 6-14 years old.
- The app costs $2.99
- Splash math learners is great for visual learners
- There are virtual rewards offered throughout the game.
- There is a progress dashboard which will allow you to keep track of your child’s progress/
- It is designed for children in Pre-k to 5th grade
- It is free to get the app but there are in-app purchases
- Buzz math allows your child to time travel to meet famous mathematicians
- The activities on Buzz math are aligned with common core
- The app shows real-time progress for you and your child to see.
- It is designed for children between 8 and 14 years old.
- The app costs $10
- Elephant learning offers a guarantee that your child will learn 1 year of math in 3 months as long as they follow the given recommendations.
- The app offers interactive math games to keep children engaged
- It is especially great for visual learners
- The app is designed for children between 2 and 16 years old.
- The app costs $35 per month
- IXL math offers adjustive questions to cater to each child’s needs
- There are real world scenarios to allow each child to connect the math concepts
- It is designed for children between 3 and 18 years old.
- The app starts at $9.95 a month depending on what you need
- Singapore math is very popular among schools
- There are over 500 learning games and videos
- Singapore math is aligned with common core
- It is best for children PreK through 8th grade
- There is a free trial available
The best math apps for kids are those that your child is engaged in and is also learning. You will need to supervise the progress to know if it actually works. Start with the ones that are free or that offer a free trial. The goal is to keep your child engaged.
Want to some tips to help your child pass a math test? Here is a free eBook on how to pass a math test.
Pin this post about math apps for kids!
Was this post about math apps for kids useful? Please share it on Pinterest!