Come Follow Me 10/12/2020 – Devotionals & FHE for Kids
Daily devotionals, Family Home Evening (FHE), and Sunday ideas for kids and young children that go with Come, Follow Me for 10/12/2020.
- Family Home Evening
- Scripture of the Week
- Primary Challenge
- Sunday Activity Ideas
- Share on Pinterest!
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 10/12
- The church is compared to a tent in the wilderness in this verse.
- The phrases “lengthen its cords” and “strengthen its stakes” are used.
- What do you think these mean?
- You could construct a makeshift tent in your living room/backyard and talk about the importance of cords and stakes.
- How might you invite others to shelter from the wilderness in the gospel?
Build and play in the tent.
Eat s’mores in your tents.
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 10/12
Work on memorizing this scripture during the week for Come Follow Me 10/12: 3 Nephi 24:10
Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in my house; and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of Hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
Here are some ideas for marking your scriptures.
Devotionals for Come Follow Me 10/12
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use in your daily Come, Follow Me 10/12 devotionals! Please don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Just make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 10/12:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, then your family can have a discussion using the questions/comments provided.
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, after which the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together doing the activity as a family!
Modifications for older children for Come, Follow Me 10/12 daily devotionals:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families for Come Follow Me 10/12
- Instead of answering the journal entry with a drawing, you can create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
An Angel Came to Joseph Smith (Children’s #86a)
- These verses are talking about the last days, which is now!
- Remember how we learned about the Savior saying He had other sheep, and those were the Nephites? The Nephites and the people in Jerusalem were all descendants of Israel.
- In the last days, the Lord said He would gather all of Israel together. If you aren’t one of Israel’s descendants, then you get adopted into his family when you are baptized and make covenants with the Lord.
- These verses tell us that the gathering of Israel will begin when the Nephites’ writings are given throughout the world. That’s the Book of Mormon!
- Those of us who have the Book of Mormon have the responsibility to help gather Israel.
The Book of Mormon around the World activity page
How can I help gather Israel?
Seek the Lord Early (Children’s #108)
- Jesus’s words and actions throughout these chapters reveal how He feels about the scriptures. How does He feel?
- What do we learn about the scriptures in these verses?
- What can we do to search the scriptures diligently?
“Listen for His Voice” connect-the-dots
How can I do better at searching the scriptures?
Teacher, Do You Love Me? (Children’s #178)
- Today there is a lot of reading, but it’s very important. Here Jesus is quoting from the prophets Isaiah and Malachi.
- They use a lot of images (analogies) to explain how God feels about His people.
- As the verses are read, stop and talk about each analogy. Draw a picture or write a list about each one. What do they say about how God feels about His children?
(see the discussion)
(see the discussion)
I Want to Give the Lord My Tenth (Children’s #150b)
- Why do you think the Lord asks us to pay tithing when He created everything? Does He need our tithing?
- What are the blessings of paying tithing?
- (Have the adult share an experience about paying tithing and a blessing that came from it.)
Coloring Page: “I Can Pay Tithing”
How have I been blessed by paying tithing?
Truth from Elijah (Children’s #90)
- The promised return of Elijah has been eagerly anticipated by Jews around the world for centuries.
- Latter-day Saints know that Elijah has returned, appearing to Joseph Smith in the Kirtland Temple in 1836.
- Turning our hearts to our ancestors means to do their temple work for them.
Fill out this family tree.
Primary Assignment for Come Follow Me 10/12
The Come, Follow Me – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation for Come Follow Me 10/12:
Invite the children to ask their parents or grandparents to tell them stories about their ancestors.
Sunday Ideas for Come Follow Me 10/12
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 10/12 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you.
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic in Come Follow Me 10/12:
- Do this week’s free activity pages from Color Me Christian
- Video: “The Hearts of the Children” An 11-year-old boy helps his family feel passionate about family history. Taken from the April 2013 Primary Leadership Training broadcast.
- “Gospel A to Z” (May 2019 Friend) Use each letter of the alphabet to draw a gospel picture.
- Use FamilySearch.org to create a large family tree. Tell the children about different people on the tree. Share stories you may remember about them.
- Watch Video: Matt & Mandy, “Paying Tithing” (September 2010)
- Learn how to be a Family History detective. Look in the other 2015 Friend magazines to see the other Family History challenges from that year.
- Watch Video: “Hannah’s View” A girl shares how she likes family history and how her family is preparing to go to the temple.
- “Tithing Around the World” (April 2018 Friend) Figure out how much tithing you would pay for these amounts of currency from around the world.
- Watch Video: For Little Friends, “Tithing”
- “Tithing Blessings” (June 2017 Friend) Pictures to color of things that tithing money helps with.
- Make a Tithing Jar
- Watch Bible Videos: “Jesus Teaches about the Widow’s Mites”
Are these Come Follow Me 10/12 ideas useful for you? If so, please share on Pinterest or Facebook!