Come Follow Me 8/7/2023 – Devotionals & FHE for Children
If you find these Come Follow Me 8/7 devotionals and other ideas for kids useful, please share them with others!
You can get all of the devotionals here.Last week’s devotionals
Click the topic to jump to where you want to go:
- Family Home Evening
- Scripture of the Week
- Primary Challenge
- Sunday Activity Ideas
- Share on Pinterest!
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 8/7 for Kids
When I Am Baptized (Children’s #103)
- Discuss several of the symbols of baptism.
- Have any of the family been baptized recently?
- Discuss their experience and why they are happy they were baptized.
- Are any of the family getting ready for baptism?
- Discuss what they hope to experience at their baptism and why they want to do it.
Put eight different colored squares of paper on the floor and have children participate along with Logan while you read “Logan’s Baptism” (July 2005 Liahona and Friend). Have family members identify which “square” they are on (which ordinances they have yet to complete) and what they can do to progress.
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 8/7 for Kids
Work on memorizing this scripture with your children during the week for Come Follow Me 8/7: Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth.
Here are some ideas for marking your scriptures. You can download these tracing sheets as a PDF.
Devotionals for Come Follow Me 8/7 for Kids
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use in your daily Come, Follow Me 8/7 devotionals with your children! Please don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Just make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 8/7:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, then your family can have a discussion using the questions/comments provided.
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, after which the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together doing the activity as a family!
Modifications for older children for Come, Follow Me 8/7 daily devotionals:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed in Come, Follow Me 8/7
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families for Come Follow Me 8/7
- Instead of answering the journal entry with a drawing, you can create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
You might also enjoy these Come Follow Me Workbooks for Kids:
Come, Listen to a Prophet’s Voice (Hymns #21)
Pauline Epistles from the Bible Dictionary
- What is an epistle?
- Most of the second half of the new testament is made up of epistles or letters that church leaders and missionaries wrote to members of the church to help them learn and grow in the gospel.
- Why do you think that they did that?
- Do we have anything like that today?
Have the children begin a personal journal. If they are too young to write it, have them draw pictures about what happened each day.
I Stand All Amazed (Hymns #193)
- The law that they talk about a lot means the commandments of the law of Moses.
- Many believed that by strict obedience one could return to Heavenly Father.
- Christ is the One who saves us, but we do have to show our faith in Him through obedience.
Obedience puzzles on the last page
Seek the Lord Early (Children’s #108)
- We do a lot of things. Go to church, read scriptures, say prayers, do service, etc.
- What is the purpose behind them?
- They are supposed to bring us closer to God.
- How can we make sure that our outward actions are the same as our hearts?
How can I show my heart today with my actions?
How Firm a Foundation (Hymns #85)
- We all have made mistakes and will make more mistakes.
- That means we can’t get back to Heavenly Father by ourselves, not anyone.
- But there is hope is Jesus Christ’s gospel.
- It is important to recognize that we aren’t perfect and can’t by by ourselves.
How can I use Christ’s help today to do better?
Follow the maze and try to decide what the right choice is
Come, Follow Me (Hymns #116)
- After we are baptized we are commanded to “walk in newness of life.”
- What do you think that means?
- How should we act once we have promised to follow Christ?
- How do you think that will make you feel?
How can I walk in the newness of life today?
Primary Children’s Assignment for Come Follow Me 8/7
The Come, Follow Me – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation for Come Follow Me 8/7:
Suggest that the children ask family members to let them know when they are doing something that shows faith.
Sunday Ideas for Kids for Come Follow Me 8/7
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 8/7 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you. If your younger children are struggling during Sacrament, try using these Ideas and Activities to Keep Toddlers and Kids Quiet During Church
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic in Come Follow Me 8/7
Sunday Kids Activities for Come Follow Me 8/7
- Do this week’s free activity pages from Color Me Christian
- “Baptism” (August 2008 Friend). Use the scriptures to solve this puzzle about baptism.
- “Find the Differences” (March 2008 Friend). Find the differences between two pictures of a girl having a baptism interview with her bishop.
- Letters to the Churches Object Lesson
- Find the Cities Where Paul Sent Letters – Circle the cities that received letters from Paul and fill in the name
- FREE Romans Bible Scavenger Hunt
- “Fraction Puzzle” (October 2004 Friend). Combine fractions of each word to reveal a hidden message.
- Romans Road Sign Craft Kit. Build a road to salvation sign featuring Scripture references from Romans and the steps to salvation.
- “Learning about Baptism” (February 2019 Friend). Learn about the steps of baptism by reading and coloring in the boxes on these pages.
- “My Baptism Book” (February 2000 Liahona and May 1996 Friend). Create a baptism book by mounting eight pictures on heavy paper, punching holes and then tying them together with string.
- Printable Roman helmets
- Put together this amazing “Letters from Paul” display
Are these Come Follow Me 8/7 ideas for children useful for you? If so, please share on Pinterest or Facebook!