If you find these Come Follow Me 1/16 devotionals and other ideas for kids useful, please share them with others!
You can get all of the devotionals here.Last week’s devotional
Click the topic to jump to where you want to go:
- Family Home Evening
- Scripture of the Week
- Primary Challenge
- Sunday Activity Ideas
- Share on Pinterest!
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 1/16 for Kids
The Lord is My Light (Hymns #89)
- Read John 1:4–10
- Christ is the light of the world. What does that mean?
- How can we get our own testimony of Christ?
Play flashlight tag
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 1/16 for Kids
Work on memorizing this scripture with your children during the week for Come Follow Me 1/16: John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Devotionals for Come Follow Me 1/16 for Kids
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use in your daily Come, Follow Me 1/16 devotionals with your children! Please don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Just make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 1/16:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, then your family can have a discussion using the questions/comments provided.
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, after which the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together doing the activity as a family!
Modifications for older children for Come, Follow Me 1/16 daily devotionals:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed in Come, Follow Me 1/16
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families for Come Follow Me 1/16
- Instead of answering the journal entry with a drawing, you can create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
You might also enjoy these Come Follow Me Workbooks for Kids:
“I Want to Be a Missionary Now” (Children’s #168)
- Who was John?
- Disciple of John the Baptist
- One of the first followers of Christ, and later one of the 12 apostles.
- Asked to stay on the earth after Christ’s death in order to continue preaching the gospel until the Second Coming
- Disciples of Jesus Christ bear witness of Him. How can you be like John and share the gospel now?
- What do you want to do to prepare to be a missionary when you are older?
How can I bear witness of Christ today?
“I Lived in Heaven” (Children’s #4)
- Jesus Christ was in the beginning with God.
- What do you know about Jesus when he lived in Heaven with us?
- What did Jesus do before He came to earth?
- Shared the gospel with us
- Volunteered to be the Savior
- Created the world
- Why is it important for us to know about the pre-earth life?
How can I follow the example of Jesus?
“I Will Follow God’s Plan” (Children’s #164)
- What does it mean to become the sons (children) of God? We are all born children of God, so what does it mean to become one?
- What do you do to be closer to your family and parents?
- What do children of God do to become closer to Him?
What can I do today to be closer to God?
“This is My Beloved Son” (Children’s #76)
- Has anyone seen God?
- What stories do you know of when Jesus and Heavenly Father visited people?
- Heavenly Father always bears witness/introduces Christ when they appear to someone.
- How can we know if God exists when we don’t see Him?
How can I “see” God in my life?
“Baptism” (Children’s #100)
- What was John the Baptist’s job?
- The Jews asked John the Baptist if he was Elias. Elias another name for Elijah, an old prophet who was supposed to return one day and restore everything.
- John the Baptist was not Elias – instead, his job was to be the prophet mentioned in Isaiah 40:3 to get the people ready for Jesus.
- You may want to add that Elijah did eventually return to visit Joseph Smith and give him the keys (or permission) of the Restoration.
How can I get things ready for Christ’s second coming?
Primary Children’s Assignment for Come Follow Me 1/16
The Come, Follow Me – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation for Come Follow Me 1/16:
Encourage the children to invite someone they love to learn more about Jesus Christ.
Sunday Ideas for Kids for Come Follow Me 1/16
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 1/16 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you. If your younger children are struggling during Sacrament, try using these Ideas and Activities to Keep Toddlers and Kids Quiet During Church
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic in Come Follow Me 1/16
Sunday Kids Activities for Come Follow Me 1/16
- Do this week’s free activity pages from Color Me Christian
- Free printables about John the Baptist
- Watch “Inviting Others to ‘Come and See’”
- Free printables about Elijah and Elisha
- Coloring pages and printables about John the Apostle
- “John the Baptist Puzzle” (May 1997 Friend). Follow these instructions to learn what John the Baptist restored to Joseph Smith.
- Coloring page: “I follow Jesus Christ in faith when I make and keep my baptismal covenants.” (June 2007 Liahona and Friend). A coloring page of John the Baptist baptizing Jesus.
- “The First Vision” (January 2001 Friend). Includes pictures and instructions to create a shoe-box panorama of the First Vision.
- Coloring page: “Jesus Christ Is Baptized” (February 2013 Friend)
- “Joseph Smith’s First Vision” (March 2008 Friend). Cut out and color these figures and use them to tell the story of the First Vision.
- Coloring Page: “Jesus Chose to Be Baptized” (February 2019 Liahona and Friend)
Are these Come Follow Me 1/16 ideas for children useful for you? If so, please share on Pinterest or Facebook!