If you find these Come Follow Me / devotionals and other ideas for kids useful, please share them with others!
You can get all of the devotionals here.Last week’s devotionals
Click the topic to jump to where you want to go:
- Family Home Evening
- Scripture of the Week
- Primary Challenge
- Sunday Activity Ideas
- Share on Pinterest!
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 1/23 for Kids
When I Am Baptized (Children’s #103)
- What is the Aaronic priesthood? Why is it needed for baptism?
- What does baptism mean?
- Wash away sins
- Promise to try to be like Jesus and help others
- How to we know if Mommy and Daddy are happy with us? What do they do?
- How do we know if Heavenly Father is happy with us? How does the Holy Ghost tell us? Read Galatians 5:22
Wash dirty stones together (crystals or pretty colors are good). Use as analogy to how baptism and repentance wash us clean from our sins.
Fruit salad, fruit kabobs, or anything else with fruit to represent the fruits of the Spirit.
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 1/23 for Kids
Work on memorizing this scripture with your children during the week for Come Follow Me 1/23: Matthew 3:16–17
And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
Devotionals for Come Follow Me 1/23 for Kids
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use in your daily Come, Follow Me 1/23 devotionals with your children! Please don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Just make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 1/23:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, then your family can have a discussion using the questions/comments provided.
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, after which the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together doing the activity as a family!
Modifications for older children for Come, Follow Me 1/23 daily devotionals:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed in Come, Follow Me 1/23
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families for Come Follow Me 1/23
- Instead of answering the journal entry with a drawing, you can create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
You might also enjoy these Come Follow Me Workbooks for Kids:
The Books in the New Testament (Children’s #116)
Bible Dictionary, “Mark.” Use this time to explain how the Bible Dictionary can help us learn more about what we read (people, places, word definitions, etc.)
- Who was Mark?
- Missionary companion for a lot of the apostles like Peter and Paul
- Mark wanted people to understand the Jesus was the son of God living as a man among the people.
How can we follow Mark’s example?
Find all the places Mark went on a mission in the Bible Maps. (Listed in the Bible Dictionary.)
Help Me, Dear Father (Children’s #99)
- Repentance is a mighty change of heart
- There are 4 steps to repentance:
- Feel sorry
- Ask forgiveness
- Right the wrong
- Don’t do the wrong again
What do I need to repent of today?
The Commandments (Children’s #112)
- Who were the Pharisees and Sadducees?
- Church leaders at the time when Jesus was born, but they were not always righteous. They tried to make people be obedient to things that weren’t really commandments, and they were very judgmental.
- Like a cup – clean on the outside, but dirty on the inside.
How can I be clean on the inside?
Baptism (Children’s #99)
Compare Jesus’ baptism with what your baptism is like:
|Who baptized Jesus, and what authority did he hold?||Who will baptize you, and what authority does he hold?|
|Where was Jesus baptized?||Where will you be baptized?|
|How was Jesus baptized?||How will you be baptized?|
|Why was Jesus baptized?||Why will you be baptized?|
|How did Heavenly Father show that He was pleased with Jesus?||How will Heavenly Father show that He is pleased when you are baptized?|
Fill out the chart in the discussion.
When Jesus Christ Was Baptized (Children’s #102)
- What is the Godhead? Who are the 3 Beings?
- Work on memorizing the First Article of Faith
- Are they the same person? Why not?
- Baptism of Jesus, First Vision, and Savior visiting Americas all show that they are three different individuals.
- They are just one in purpose – like how Mommy and Daddy have the same rules for the kids. If one says no, you can’t go ask the other parent.
How can I be one with the Godhead?
Godhead Color By Number (no need to read the scriptures, just reference the colors)
Primary Children’s Assignment for Come Follow Me 1/23
The Come, Follow Me – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation for Come Follow Me 1/23:
Encourage each child to ask their parents, other family members, or friends about their baptisms.
Sunday Ideas for Kids for Come Follow Me 1/23
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 1/23 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you. If your younger children are struggling during Sacrament, try using these Ideas and Activities to Keep Toddlers and Kids Quiet During Church
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic in Come Follow Me 1/23
Sunday Kids Activities for Come Follow Me 1/23
- Do this week’s free activity pages from Color Me Christian
- Watch “The Baptism of Jesus”
- Read “Jesus Was Baptized” (February 2019 Friend).
- John the Baptist crossword puzzle
- “The Baptism Covenant” (February 2019 Friend). Cut out and mix up these cards. Then take turns matching cards that go together. With each match, talk about that part of the baptism covenant.
- Jesus’ Baptism Spot the Difference
- “Jesus Was Baptized” (February 2015 Friend and Liahona). Use this scripture question activity to learn about the baptism of Jesus. Includes a short lesson.
- Jesus’ Baptism Word Search Activity
- “Remembering Jesus” (May 1996 Liahona and Friend). Color and assemble a puzzle to remind you of your baptismal covenants.
- “The Godhead” (February 1995 Friend). Read scriptures to learn more the Godhead. Then color the spaces in the picture as suggested after each scripture reference to make a mosaic.
- Jesus’ Baptism Match Game
- “Article of Faith 1” (January 2011 Friend). Definition of the Godhead as described in the First Article of Faith. Includes fill-in-the-blanks activities and a word search about the members of the Godhead.
- Jesus’ Baptism Word Tiles
Are these Come Follow Me 1/23 ideas for children useful for you? If so, please share on Pinterest or Facebook!