Daily devotionals, Family Home Evening (FHE), and Sunday ideas for kids and young children that go with Come, Follow Me for 8/17/2020.
- Family Home Evening
- Scripture of the Week
- Primary Challenge
- Sunday Activity Ideas
- Share on Pinterest!
Family Home Evening
- Talk about what a foundation is and what its purpose is.
- Build a small structure out of small blocks. Try building on something firm and smooth vs sand/dirt/wadded up blankets
- Try to blow down the structure with a hair dryer (wind)
- How is Christ a ‘sure’ foundation for us?
- What kinds of storms do we encounter in our lives?
Take turns seeing who can build the most secure structure.
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 8/17
Work on memorizing this scripture during the week for Come Follow Me 8/17: Alma 5:12
And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.
Here are some ideas for marking your scriptures.
Devotionals for Come Follow Me 8/17
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use in your daily Come, Follow Me 8/17 devotionals! Please don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Just make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 8/17:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, then your family can have a discussion using the questions/comments provided.
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, after which the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together doing the activity as a family!
Modifications for older children for Come, Follow Me 8/17 daily devotionals:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families for Come Follow Me 8/17
- Instead of answering the journal entry with a drawing, you can create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
- What is pride? (Thinking you are better than others or God)
- What evidences of pride do you see among the Nephites?
- Talk about the pride cycle (draw it out)
How do I see the pride cycle in my life?
- What are the consequences of pride?
- How are those consequence shown in our daily lives?
Print the pride cycle (halfway down the page) and fill it out
What happens when I have pride?
- What is the opposite of pride? (Humility)
- What is humility? (Putting God’s ways above all else.)
- Humility is not putting ourselves down; it’s recognizing everything we have comes from God.
- What happened to the Nephites in verses 34 and 35 because of their humility?
How can I be more humble?
- What happened to the righteous when the people were wicked?
- What did Heavenly Father do?
- Why do you think Heavenly Father saved Nephi and Lehi, but not Abinadi or the righteous people that Alma saw burned?
- Heavenly Father has a purpose for every single person, and He won’t let that purpose be destroyed by wicked people.
How can I have faith in Heavenly Father even when things seem bad?
The Still Small Voice (Children’s Songbook, 106–7)
- How did the people hear the Holy Ghost?
- How have you felt the Holy Ghost?
- When have you felt dark, like the Lamanites? Did Heavenly Father help you feel light?
Make the stress meter and talk about what you can do when you feel overwhelmed.
What can I do to listen for the Holy Ghost this week?
Primary Assignment for Come Follow Me 8/17
The Come, Follow Me – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation for Come Follow Me 8/17
Invite the children to ask family members about how they have built their lives on Jesus Christ. Or they could share with their families how they plan to build their own lives on Him.
Sunday Ideas for Come Follow Me 8/17
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 8/17 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you.
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic in Come Follow Me 8/17
- Do this week’s free activity pages from Color Me Christian
- Look up the Pride Cycle scriptures in this chart
- Read “Beware of Pride” by President Ezra Taft Benson and talk about how these show up in your lives and how to overcome them
- Look at this updated pride cycle and talk about agency and pride – wickedness is not inevitable if we are careful
- Read this blog post about having a sure foundation
- Watch the video Nephi and Lehi in prison
- Make the room as dark as possible; then read or summarize the account in Helaman 5:20–40 using a small flashlight. How might the Lamanites have felt while in the dark? Tell the children to listen for what Aminadab taught the people to do so that the darkness would be lifted, and then read verse 41. Then turn the lights on, and read verses 42–48 together. What do these verses teach us about the blessings that repentance brings to our lives?
- Read these Friend articles about worry and fear
- Read these Friend articles about the Holy Ghost
- “The Gifts and Fruits of the Spirit” (December 2006 Friend). A word search about the gifts and fruits of the Spirit.
- “The Holy Ghost Testifies of the Truth of All Things”(June 2010 Liahona and Friend). A journal activity that teaches about the Holy Ghost. Includes a question-and-answer Liahona craft.
- Color these figures of the Wise Man and the Foolish Man to act out the story of building foundations on Christ. Read Helaman 5:12 with it.
- Color the cartoon of the wise man building his foundation
- Play the game to see if these activities build on a rock. Then make the Jesus Christ rock as a reminder.
Are these Come Follow Me 8/17 ideas useful for you? If so, please share on Pinterest or Facebook!