Come Follow Me 5/1/2023 – Devotionals & FHE for Children
If you find these Come Follow Me 5/1 devotionals and other ideas for kids useful, please share them with others!
You can get all of the devotionals here.Last week’s devotionals
Click the topic to jump to where you want to go:
- Family Home Evening
- Scripture of the Week
- Primary Challenge
- Sunday Activity Ideas
- Share on Pinterest!
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 5/1 for Kids
We’ll Bring the World His Truth (Children’s #172)
- How does it feel when you lose something?
- How does it feel while you are trying to find it? And how does it feel when you find it?
- How would you feel if you lost your child or something really important to you?
- That is how Heavenly Father feels when one of this children choose to leave the path.
- What can we do to help ‘find’ these people?
Play hide and go seek.
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 5/1 for Kids
Work on memorizing this scripture with your children during the week for Come Follow Me 5/1: John 11:25
Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
Here are some ideas for marking your scriptures. You can download these tracing sheets as a PDF.
Devotionals for Come Follow Me 5/1 for Kids
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use in your daily Come, Follow Me 5/1 devotionals with your children! Please don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Just make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 5/1:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, then your family can have a discussion using the questions/comments provided.
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, after which the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together doing the activity as a family!
Modifications for older children for Come, Follow Me 5/1 daily devotionals:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed in Come, Follow Me 5/1
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families for Come Follow Me 5/1
- Instead of answering the journal entry with a drawing, you can create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
You might also enjoy these Come Follow Me Workbooks for Kids:
“Give,” Said the Little Stream (Children’s #236)
- When we die what happens to our wealth?
- What happens to the good things that we have done? (Becomes treasure in heaven)
- When have you or someone you know put things of the earth before the things of God?
- When have you or someone you know put the things of God before the things of the earth?
How can I make treasure in heaven for myself today?
Treasures in Heaven craft – one modification idea is to write earthly actions on the front of each coin and spiritual actions on the back of each coin. They can then be in earth or on heaven, depending on which side is shown face up. (This would require decorating the front and back of the cloud and treasure pot.)
Dear to the Heart of the Shepherd (Hymns #221)
- Sometimes Heavenly Father’s children become lost. (They choose the wrong path for a long time.)
- When they com back we should love them all the more.
- Remember it is always better not to get lost in the first place.
How can we stay found and not get lost?
The Wise Man and the Foolish Man (Children’s #281)
- Why should we be honest and diligent with our earthly wealth?
- It is helping us learn how to manage heavenly wealth and blessings.
- We should be honest in everything we do. It shows Heavenly Father we can be trusted with even greater blessings.
How can I be trustworthy?
A Song of Thanks (Children’s #20)
- If you were one of the ten lepers would you have returned to Jesus to thank Him?
- Why didn’t the other 9 return to show gratitude?
- What can you do to be more thankful?
How can I be thankful to the Lord?
Grateful leper handprint craft – you could also use fingerpaint to make the hands instead of tracing them to add sensory exploration to this activity.
I Know That My Redeemer Lives (Hymns #136)
- Why do you think that Jesus didn’t heal Lazarus before he died?
- He showed them that he had power over death. This was important because He was going to be resurrected.
- Does this story help your faith that Jesus is the Son of God?
- Lazarus just returned from death. He was not resurrected at this time.
How can I increase my faith that Jesus is the Son of God?
Primary Children’s Assignment for Come Follow Me 5/1
The Come, Follow Me – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation for Come Follow Me 5/1:
Give the children some paper they can use to write or draw things they are grateful for throughout the week.
Sunday Ideas for Kids for Come Follow Me 5/1
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 5/1 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you. If your younger children are struggling during Sacrament, try using these Ideas and Activities to Keep Toddlers and Kids Quiet During Church
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic in Come Follow Me 5/1
Sunday Kids Activities for Come Follow Me 5/1
- Do this week’s free activity pages from Color Me Christian
- Watch this video: (Lazarus is raised from the dead)
- Connect the dots Jesus Raised Lazarus from the Dead
- Jesus Raised Lazarus Word Scramble
- Read Dale G. Renlund, “Consider the Goodness and Greatness of God,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2020, 41–44.
- Maze The Ten Lepers
- Jesus Healed 10 Lepers Spot the Differences
- Watch “President Russell M. Nelson on the Healing Power of Gratitude”
- The Parable of the Two Sons – Use the dial to decipher Jesus message in the parable of prodigal son and older brother
- The Prodigal Son – Read the story of the Prodigal Son in Luke 15:11-32 and then place the pictures in order
- The Prodigal Son seek and find
- Help the Shepherd – A fun color by number of the lost sheep from Jesus’ parable.
- Jesus Raised Lazarus Coded Words
- Coloring Page – Parable of the Lost Sheep
- Jesus Raised Lazarus Spot The Differences
- Obedience is Important – Read Jesus’ parable of the two sons and then number the cards in the correct order
- Healing 10 Lepers Match Game
- Read “Jesus Teaches about Finding Those Who Are Lost” (July 2011 Friend). A retelling of three New Testament parables, including the story of the prodigal son.
- Jesus Raised Lazarus From the Dead Word Search
- All About Forgiveness – Read Jesus’ parable of the two debtors and cross out words not related to forgiveness.
- Jesus Raised Lazarus Crossword Puzzle
- Finding Jesus: The Leper’s Maze
- “New Testament Riddle” (March 2003 Friend). This short riddle asks questions about who Lazarus and his sisters were and what they did.
- Watch Video: New Testament Stories, “Chapter 43: Jesus Brings Lazarus Back to Life”
- Jesus Healed 10 Lepers Word Search
- The Lepers are Healed – Read the story of Jesus healing the lepers in Luke 17:11-19. Put a star next to every true statement.
- Jesus Raised Lazarus Coloring Page
- Raising of Lazarus (Discussion Questions)
Are these Come Follow Me 5/1 ideas for children useful for you? If so, please share on Pinterest or Facebook!