If you find these Come Follow Me 1/8 devotionals and other ideas for kids useful, please share them with others!
And don’t miss out on our free 240 page Book of Mormon chapter-by-chapter study guide journal for kids and adults.
You can get all of the devotionals here.Last week’s devotionals
Click the topic to jump to where you want to go:
- Family Home Evening
- Scripture of the Week
- Primary Challenge
- Sunday Activity Ideas
- Share on Pinterest!
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 1/8 for Kids
Book of Mormon Stories (First verse)
- What happens when we keep the commandments? This is a theme that reoccurs throughout the Book of Mormon.
- It holds true in our day although you may not always see the direct result of your actions.
- Make a poster together that will help your family remember the importance of keeping the commandments.
Finish the poster or do this coloring page: Nephi was blessed for choosing the right
Make a favorite recipe and talk about how if you don’t follow the right steps, the recipe would be a disaster.
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 1/8 for Kids
Work on memorizing this scripture with your children during the week for Come Follow Me 1/8: 1 Nephi 3:7
I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.
You can download these tracing sheets as a PDF.
Devotionals for Come Follow Me 1/8 for Kids
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use in your daily Come, Follow Me 1/8 devotionals with your children! Please don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Just make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 1/8:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, then your family can have a discussion using the questions/comments provided.
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, after which the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together doing the activity as a family!
Modifications for older children for Come, Follow Me 1/8 daily devotionals:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed in Come, Follow Me 1/8
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Home and Church: Book of Mormon 2024 for Come Follow Me 1/8
- Instead of answering the journal entry with a drawing, you can create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
- Here are some ideas for marking your scriptures.
I Believe in Christ (Hymns #134)
- Do you remember how one of the Book of Mormon’s purposes is to testify of Christ?
- Lehi has a great vision of Jesus Christ. How do you think he felt when he saw the Savior?
- What do you learn about Him from this verse?
- How does this strengthen your testimony of Jesus?
What will I do when I see Jesus again?
We Are Sowing (Hymns #216)
- Lehi had four sons: Laman, Lemuel, Samuel, and Nephi.
- Nephi, Laman and Lemuel all grew up in the same house with the same father and most likely had very similar experiences.
- Why Nephi was able to gain a witness that his father’s words were true? Why didn’t Laman and Lemuel gain this witness?
- Nephi’s heart was softened when his father, the prophet, was commanded to leave.
- Why was this?
- What can you do to soften your heart?
How can I soften my heart this week?
Nephi’s Courage (Children’s #120)
- The people wanted to kill Lehi because he was telling them to repent. Lehi and his family had to run away and escape into the wilderness.
- The Lord then told them to go back and get the brass plates.
- How did Nephi react when he was given a ‘hard thing’ to do?
- Why do you think he reacted that way?
- Is that what you think when you are given a task that is difficult?
- What can you do to change your attitude?
- Watch “The Lord Commands Lehi’s Family to Leave Jerusalem”
What is something that is hard for me to do?
Print and color figures to tell the story (glue them to popsicle sticks to make puppets)
Book of Mormon Stories (Children’s #118)
- What do you know about the story of Moses parting the Red Sea?
- Laman and Lemuel were scared to get the brass plates because Laban threatened to kill them.
- Why do you think Nephi reminded them about Moses?
- How can you apply this in your life?
- How was Nephi able to get the plates, according to verse 6?
- What stories do you want to remember to help you have faith the next time you are tempted to murmur?
- Watch “Nephi Is Led by the Spirit to Obtain the Plates of Brass”
What can I do the next time I want to murmur?
Search, Ponder, and Pray (Children’s #109)
- Why do you think the Lord sent Nephi back to get the plates?
- How can you know that the scriptures were important to Lehi and Nephi?
- Why are the scriptures valuable to us? How can we treat the scriptures like a treasure?
- What would you do to make sure your family always read and listened to the scriptures?
What is my favorite scripture story?
Primary Children’s Activities for Come Follow Me 1/8
The Come, Follow Me – Home and Church: Book of Mormon 2024 manual suggests that you look at this month’s issue of the Friend magazine for more ideas.
There is also an activity page in this week’s section of the CFM manual.
Sunday Ideas for Kids for Come Follow Me 1/8
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 1/8 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you
If your younger children are struggling during Sacrament Meeting, try using these Ideas and Activities to Keep Toddlers and Kids Quiet During Church
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic in Come Follow Me 1/8
Sunday Kids Activities for Come Follow Me 1/8
- Do this week’s free activity pages from Color Me Christian (or do them in the workbook if you purchased it from Amazon).
- Create a “murmur” jar. Have an empty jar with cotton balls next to it. When children do what is asked without whining, they can put in a cotton ball. If they whine, a cotton ball comes out. Once the jar is filled, there is a reward (ice cream, etc.)
- Watch “Chapter 4: The Brass Plates”
- Act out the story of Nephi and his brothers going to get the brass plates. Record it and send it to a long-distance loved one, like a grandparent.
- Learn the sign language for Nephi’s Courage
- Complete this Nephi crossword puzzle
- Read President Dallin H. Oaks’s message “What Has Our Savior Done for Us?” (Liahona, May 2021, 75–77).
Are these Come Follow Me 1/8 ideas for children useful for you? If so, please share on Pinterest or Facebook!