If you find these Come Follow Me 8/28 devotionals and other ideas for kids useful, please share them with others!
You can get all of the devotionals here.Last week’s devotionals
Click the topic to jump to where you want to go:
- Family Home Evening
- Scripture of the Week
- Primary Challenge
- Sunday Activity Ideas
- Share on Pinterest!
Family Home Evening for Come Follow Me 8/28 for Kids
The Lord Gave Me a Temple (Children’s #153)
- Paul compared living the gospel to running a race. Who wins something at the end of the race? (Those who finish)
- Life is like a race; everyone who finishes gets a prize! What is that prize (the Celestial Kingdom)
- What might a champion runner do to prepare for a race?
- Likewise, what can we do to prepare to return to Heavenly Father?
Since Paul compared living the gospel to running a race, you could have a family race to illustrate his point. Award a crown to everyone who finishes the race, and discuss how all who are diligent in following Jesus Christ in this life will win the “incorruptible” prize.
Scripture of the Week for Come Follow Me 8/28 for Kids
Work on memorizing this scripture with your children during the week for Come Follow Me 8/28: 1 Corinthians 13:4
Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
Devotionals for Come Follow Me 8/28 for Kids
Remember that these are guidelines for you to use in your daily Come, Follow Me 8/28 devotionals with your children! Please don’t feel as though you have to use every single question, journal entry, or activity. Just make sure you look at the activity in advance so you can gather any materials they may require.
Here is a general outline for each devotional for Come Follow Me 8/28:
- Start by singing the song together and saying a prayer
- Read the scripture together, then your family can have a discussion using the questions/comments provided.
- Copy the journal entries into a spiral notebook. The child or the parent can write the question at the top, after which the child can write or draw an answer.
- Have fun together doing the activity as a family!
Modifications for older children for Come, Follow Me 8/28 daily devotionals:
- Explore the footnotes for each of the scriptures listed in Come, Follow Me 8/28
- Ask additional discussion questions found in the Personal Study section of Come, Follow Me – For Individuals and Families for Come Follow Me 8/28
- Instead of answering the journal entry with a drawing, you can create a study journal (a simple spiral notebook will work) to answer the question with a few sentences or paragraphs, depending on the child’s age.
You might also enjoy these Come Follow Me Workbooks for Kids:
I’m Trying to Be like Jesus (Children’s #78)
- What does temptation mean?
- Will Heavenly Father let us be tempted more than we can stand?
- God always provides a way to escape temptation.
- Following the commandments helps us avoid temptation
What are my temptations? How can I resist them?
Temptation and the iron rod activity. Read the last paragraph.
Before I Take the Sacrament (Children’s #73)
- Why do you think we take the sacrament together at church?
- We are strengthened by the faith of those around us and we help each other follow Christ.
- When many become one, that means that we are all working together with one goal, to be like Jesus.
How can I be one with my ward?
Love Is Spoken Here (Children’s #190)
- Paul taught that both men and women are needed in the church and in God’s plan.
- We were meant to work together with a husband or wife and raise a family.
- Why do you think God made us that way?
- Marriage is an important part of the Plan of Salvation.
- Not everyone gets to experience it the same way in this life.
How can I prepare for marriage?
Israel, Israel, God Is Calling (Hymns #7)
- The Church is like a body – everyone is a part.
- Does the body work if some parts are missing?
- What part are you? What’s your job in God’s church?
- What does this teach you about unity (working together?)
How can I be part of the body of Christ?
Body of Christ activity. Label the different parts with ways the child can use those parts to help build the Church and their family.
“Give,” Said the Little Stream (Children’s #236)
- There are many gifts/talents that Heavenly Father gives us.
- What spiritual gifts or talents do you have?
- You can read more of chapters 12-13 to find examples of gifts that Heavenly Father gives us.
- Why do we have them? They are often meant to help others.
- What can you do to seek the best gifts?
How can I use my talents to bless others?
Primary Children’s Assignment for Come Follow Me 8/28
The Come, Follow Me – For Primary manual contains a section in each week’s lesson entitled “Encourage Learning at Home.” Here is this week’s invitation for Come Follow Me 8/28:
Suggest that the children discuss something you talked about in class with their families. For instance, you could invite the children to share their spiritual gifts with their families and ask their family members what their gifts are.
Sunday Ideas for Kids for Come Follow Me 8/28
Use Sundays for a time of reflection; share what you discussed that day in each of your classes. Did you learn anything new or hear a different perspective about what you studied this week?
If you went to a class that did not use the Come, Follow Me 8/28 Manual, then share what stood out to you the most in your class.
Take a few minutes to talk about what parts of Sacrament Meeting you felt like were meant for you. If your younger children are struggling during Sacrament, try using these Ideas and Activities to Keep Toddlers and Kids Quiet During Church
Here are some activities that go along with this week’s topic in Come Follow Me 8/28
Sunday Kids Activities for Come Follow Me 8/28
- Do this week’s free activity pages from Color Me Christian
- One body in Christ playdoh activity
- “I Have Many Talents” (October 1999 Friend). A simple pantomime game about different talents.
- Body of Christ relay
- “Sharing Time: I Have Talents” (June 1989 Friend). A story about the variety of talents children have. Includes finger puppets to print out and color.
- Make a gifts of the Spirit accordian book.
- Coloring Page: “My family and I can serve others.”
- Read “Gabriel’s Cello” (December 2017 Friend). Talk about what talents you have that could make people smile.
- “Filled with Love” (February 2003 Friend). Color in all the boxes that don’t contain a heart to reveal a message about love.
- Coloring Page – Practicing Acts of Kindness
- Higher Ground – Decide how you would respond to 3 different situations
- Love is Kind mobile
- Gifts of the Holy Spirit – free printable packet. Comes with a word search and a crossword puzzle.
- Paper Doll Chain Unity Bible Craft
- Learn About Spiritual Gifts free printable Bible worksheet
- Complete this spiritual gifts assessment for kids to gain an idea of what your children’s spiritual gifts might be.
- Read this post with 15 Ways to Show Affection in Your Kid’s Love Language
Are these Come Follow Me 8/28 ideas for children useful for you? If so, please share on Pinterest or Facebook!